• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Project Log - 3 ton Yanmar working up a slope

Scuba_Si

Hi Guys,

I found lots of good info on here about working on a slope, but i always wanted to see more photos, so i'll try and keep this thread going with updates for people looking for examples in the future.

I'm a newbie operator (one afternoon's use at 16 years is all my prior experience with a mini ex - and that ended up with a burst water main). So, lets not say im doing things as they should, and please, i'd love to hear any advice that people may have :)

I own a small diving resort in North Sulawesi, Indonesia. We dont have a lot of spare cash, so i got a Japanese second from auction to do some improvements this year. First is a new house for the Mrs, then will be a swimming pool for our guests.

Our plot of land is all on the hill, so i'm learning about operating on the slope as i go along, but i haven't scared myself so far (fingers crossed).

The ground is Clay / volcanic ash / gravel, and then below about a meter it is compacted clay turning to rock.

Here are some photos of the 'toy' arriving, and about the first 6 hours of work:

IMG_1770.jpg
IMG_1777.jpg
IMG_1798.jpg
IMG_1802.jpg

Scuba_Si

So i didnt get change to post yesterday, but i made it to where i was going, quite pleased with myself for my first 10 hours on a mini doing proper work, especially with the slope im working on. The problem i have now is clearing my excavated material off the lower part of the slope to get the unit down again. Digging my way down will be a pain in the ass, i should have got some wheel barrows for my staff ;)

I did get to lift out some monster rocks though, for sure im going to buy a thumb. Any fabricators on here who sell them and wouldnt mind posting to asia?

IMG_1807.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

MX45

Machine looks straight in the blade and paint is obviously like new but buying anything secondhand is buying why someone sold it - it has issues. Hopefully you will be able to sort it out with 'bush' mechanics. Being Japanese at least it was built to a standard originally. Cant help with any advices much about the machine except I have a Mitsubishi MX45 bought as grey market here in OZ out of Japan. Your faster speed might be if you have flicked a switch for two speed travel if you have one? If the machine climbed that slope OK then drives sound OK. The neglect you have seen in final drive oil I expect is probably reflected in other areas. Mine had a 'holy' radiator and leaking hydraulics in the pit of the machine and no protector plate underneath, etc, etc. When you say it is underpowered it is only a 3 ton machine so dont expect too much - also I have learned there is a lot in technique in operating a mini - the right angle on the bucket and use of the angle of attack makes a very big difference.

As I say I am on steep country here in OZ - I have tried drains to take away storm water but it is a failed process - the enormously better way is to build a diversion ramp on the road you are building so the water runs away in the direction you want. I would also build it wider than what you want as it will surely narrow with weather and use. Drains constantly fill up.

Certainly change out those filters and cut them in half before throwing them away as it will indicate the debris they have been collecting and the condition of the internals. Good to know what is at hand.

Good luck.

Colorado Digger

no reason to get scuba all worried about the condition of his new hoe. no reason to say she's been rode hard and put away wet. looks to be a fine little piece of iron..don't forget lot's of grease and regular service.

Scuba_Si

Hi Again,

Ok, so im ditching the other thread with no replies :'(

I will have all new bearings in my starboard-side rollers by tomorrow lunchtime, so that meant we were a bit bored today so we broke down the body of the machine. I was looking for a leaky hydraulic radiator, but couldnt see any obvious signs of leakage. My hydraulic level has dropped a couple of litres, but i have also bled out all the air by repeated use (not cracking a fitting) so i suspect this lowering of hydraulic levelcould be attributed in some part to this. There was some wetness on the hydraulic pump and about 1/2 an inch of caked on mud/oil and other crap covering the entire inside. If a seal on a cylinder is leaking, is it obvious?

What i found is that the smoke exiting via the fan/radiator is actually from the cylinder head breather. I am sure this will need a strip down as we found a lot of carbon in the cylinderhead. How serious is this heavy amount of smoke leaving from the breather (at idle and straight from startup)? My engineer reckons its just a seal that needs replacing. But i'd like to get my 1st project finished and the excavator back down to ground level before i start on a full strip down...

Hendrik

I will have all new bearings in my starboard-side rollers by tomorrow lunchtime, so that meant we were a bit bored today so we broke down the body of the machine. I was looking for a leaky hydraulic radiator, but couldnt see any obvious signs of leakage. My hydraulic level has dropped a couple of litres, but i have also bled out all the air by repeated use (not cracking a fitting) so i suspect this lowering of hydraulic levelcould be attributed in some part to this. There was some wetness on the hydraulic pump and about 1/2 an inch of caked on mud/oil and other crap covering the entire inside. If a seal on a cylinder is leaking, is it obvious?

What i found is that the smoke exiting via the fan/radiator is actually from the cylinder head breather. I am sure this will need a strip down as we found a lot of carbon in the cylinderhead. How serious is this heavy amount of smoke leaving from the breather (at idle and straight from startup)? My engineer reckons its just a seal that needs replacing. But i'd like to get my 1st project finished and the excavator back down to ground level before i start on a full strip down...
Hmmnh, sounds like you have a typical Japanese machine, generally speaking in Japan machines are bought for a specific project, receive very little maintenance because they are only required to do a certain amount of work and then are auctioned/sold off to a second hand equipment exporters.
It really is pot luck when buying an ex Japan machine. Some have had luck and others have had to spend a lot of money on a machine with little hours.

Far as your machine goes, smoke from the breather is generally blow by, in other words the piston rings are not sealing that well, this is generally worse when the engine is cold and when it is idling because there is not as much pressure on the rings/not sealing as well as they should.
My guess is that there is a build up of carbon under the piston rings, which is making them stick.
Another thing that causes blow by is cylinder glazing, whereby the cylinder walls have a thin film of stuff that is polished and thus the rings can't 'bite' into the cylinder walls and seal well, this caused by extended idling and operating a Diesel under light loads. Sometimes glazing can be removed by working the engine hard for an extended period of time. You may well hear the engine working hard as you dig, in Japan it is likely it sat on a job site idling for most of the day because the operator was too lazy to shut the machine off when not required to work. Not sure how many hours on your machine but I would guess that most of them where done at idle.
Hopefully a proper mechanic can elaborate on this.
I am thinking your mechanic is referring to the valve stem seals when he talks about seals? Unless he is talking about the head gasket?
Carbon/sludge in an engine means that the oil has not been regularly changed, maybe never.
There are three ways that I know of to get rid of sludge, firstly is the slow method of changing the oil often and using a high detergent oil (which Diesel oil is), secondly is the more dramatic and potentially dangerous method of using an engine flush product (problem is that you may dislodge a big chunk of sludge which could block up an oil line in the engine causing damage) or thirdly is pulling the engine apart and physically cleaning it.
I really don't want to recommend one method over another, the flush method is the cheapest but given that you have blow by, I would advise that an engine tear down and inspection is your best option, yes it is the most expensive but it is the proper one.
What about your exhaust smoke? Exhaust smoke is a good indicator as to the health of your engine, if we know what it is like we should be able to narrow down what is going on.
If the exhaust smoke is what can be considered normal, then your mechanic could be correct in his diagnoses of a failing exhaust valve stem seal but this is somewhat unusual.
However if your oil pressure is good, you should be able to keep using the machine until such time as you can get it pulled apart.
The hydraulic issues are a bit puzzling, the system is sealed and the only place it comes in contact with air is in the hydraulic tank. Anyway all you can do at this stage is clean the machine well and then use it.

firetrack

I agree with Colorado digger re the condition of his machine. Those yanmar B30's were tough machines that did a lot of work when asked. Give her fluid and filter changes and get grease into all the fittings and drive her until you get your job done. If you have the unit with the two speed activated by a floor button and you think the unit is travelling too fast have a look at the little electric switch under the floor that is activated by the foot pedal. Sometimes they get a bit of mud/dirt stuck on the toggle that won't let the little button go in and out. Give it a couple of flicks with a screwdriver and put some CRC/5-56 etc on it and it will free up.
I wouldn't get too excited by the smoke etc from the engine. Just watch your oil pressure and temp gauge, keeps your ears open and keep her going and get the job done before the rains come!
Where abouts in Sulawesi are you. I did a bit of work up around Minadi in the late 70's. Used to be some pretty good yellow fin tuna fishing around Sulawesi at times back then.Good luck
Firetrack

Scuba_Si

Hi Guys,

Sorry it has been a while since i posted, we had a bunch of guests in the Resort so i was too busy to dig.

Got her digging again today and moving some tress around. Still haver the breather smoke problem, but i want to keep her running until i get the slope cleared and footings in for my new house.

I have a leaking Oil Sensor, so i need to go buy a new one tomorrow whilst we are felling some tress. Other than that, things seem ok.

For the Hydraulic Filter it is going to take me 2 months to get a replacement. To clean the current ones and re-use what should i clean them with?

Firetrack, i'm near to Manado (i think that's where you mean?). Rainy Season is just coming to a close :)

firetrack

Scuba,
Not sure re cleaning but I would try diesel or kero. Can we post you one? What is the part#? Surely it would get there quicker than 2 months or is your customs/import regime restrictive? Do you have a web site?
Firetrack

Scuba_Si

Thanks Firetrack.

I have oredered one from the UK, they say it has to be made so will take over a month to be delivered to them, then my family are visiting in April so will get it sometime then.

If someone could help me i have a paypal account, shipping via USPS Priority is the easiest way to get things out here... DHL / Fedex are super corrupt here and will charge outrageous (false) customs amounts!

Filter Return Element: 17217573710
Filter Suction Element: 17213773700

For the mean time, if i clean with Kerosine / diesel then soak in some hydraulic fluid for a while i think the excess cleaning fluids will float in the hydraulic fluid, thus preventing them from getting in the system.

I read on here a test for slow hydraulics, it takes me 7 - 8 seconds to raise the bucket from the floor to the top extreme using the dipper. The thread i read said 5 secs is normal?! I'm definitely way faster than the machine these days. Slewing takes forever, especially when going 'up the slope'

Website is http://www.nad-lembeh.com

Thanks for all the advise from everyone :) (Hendriks post will come in super useful when i get it in the workshop, hopefully i will have space in there when i sell 3 old gensets that are taking up the space at the moment )

Scuba_Si

SO i finally had the balls to pull out the hydraulic filters, the suction filter is ok and were cleaning it up. However the returns filter is totally blocked. If we pour in Gasoline from one end and block the other, nothing comes out. It's like filling up a glass!

I'm not sure where to go from here.

Hopefully we can find something suitable locally that can be retrofitted in the mean time.

firetrack

mate,
Tried to source here in Qld without going to the Yanmar Dealer. The numbers do cross ref with Hydrofil but I can't get access to them here.Hopefully someone on the forum may be able to source for you.
best of luck
Firetrack

Scuba_Si

I just found a guy on ebay Australia with the return element, waiting for his reply now. Now looking for the suction filter as that appears to have small holes.

Scuba_Si

Thanks mate, i'm waiting on rico europe at the moment (april arrival). Just found a place in Jakarta that might be able to help.

This one also has a lot of stuff for mini sized engines and hydraulics:

www.torresen.com

Scuba_Si

I have my new returns filter so going to switch them out and go from there, then i have full set arriving in a week or so, and another full set arriving in 2 months!

Im going to use this fist filter to see what junk it picks up out the the lines before i do a full oil / filter change.

I am also trying to buy a hydraulic pressure test kit, does anyone have any recommendations for something cheap? :)

dloiselle

Occupation
General Contracting
Scuba, you are going to be really amazed at what it will do now that it can get fluid moving. I just bought a 304 - last week and it wouldn't get out of it's own way so to speak, with less than 2100 hrs. Guy I bought it from, "just had all the fluid and filters changed, so it is good to go." Me, "uh huh." First thing I did was go to Cat and get a full compliment of filters. Then I filled her with fuel, runs great and my smoking issue and lack of go get 'em has resolved.

Today I am going to bring it into the shop, change the oil and pull the bucket which he has totally beat to death. Got a feeling that he may have smoked the bushings, he did manage to tear the bucket in three different spots. The next thing on the list for today is grease all fittings, I am a fan of grease and it just doesn't have the "splash" I look for. Am also going to degrease the boom as one of the lines for the dipper is leaking. New line will occur on Monday.

My two speed switch is slow to react, so am going to pull that apart as well and see what is what. Also have to put the handle back on for the front window, managed to get my thumb caught in that last week and all I have to say about that is :OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I guess my point, I bought this machine for 20k. She is an 05 304 full cab with factory thumb. Tracks have seen better days, rollers look fairly new. Just from what i have listed so far, yo can see that all used will have their issues. The biggest thing, and what i have seen with this one and all my other "toys" the simple solution is possibly the right one.

Best of luck to you!!

Scuba_Si

Hmm, i found something on ebay UK for about 1/10th of that price.... Probably the wrong thing.

I will see if i can bribe a tech from the local Cat repairshop to come measure them.