• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

?Project?, for Someone else!!

Old Doug

I have said this before they were a good engine that got the job done . Its easy to remember the bad things about some thing and if you dwell on the bad stuff long enough that will be all there is. The last cab over my dad had was a glider it had a 318 . The engine was spotless it was as dry as any engine could be . The only oil it lost was out the spit tubes . The truck was over 20 years old with a million plus miles but it would hold over 60 psi of air for more than a week.

cfherrman

There's a guy that put a Duramax common rail system on a 8v92 and looks like it will have a ton of power.

Myself if I get some money or time I have some ideas for a blower/governor delete and an electronic rail, which would fix the huge problems with that engine especially since my blower has a gallon a day external leak.

56wrench

What a lot of people don’t realize is that most of the oil that ‘leaks’ from a 2-stroke detroit is the condensation/oil residue from the air box drains which is normal. The air-box drains have to purge otherwise buildup could be drawn into a cylinder and if extreme, could cause it to hydraulic lock and bend a rod. It is worse with worn liners and piston rings and if they run with no or light load

cfherrman

92 series had DDEC systems, the original Electronic Engine Control, doubtful a Duramax system would or could even convert to fit.
Ddec still uses the same injector except the electronic control part, so it basically doesn't really get you anywhere and has nothing to do with a Duramax common rail conversion. It's already happened and the engine runs with Duramax injectors, 2 aftermarket ecus, and 3 3gp common rail pumps.

What a lot of people don’t realize is that most of the oil that ‘leaks’ from a 2-stroke detroit is the condensation/oil residue from the air box drains which is normal. The air-box drains have to purge otherwise buildup could be drawn into a cylinder and if extreme, could cause it to hydraulic lock and bend a rod. It is worse with worn liners and piston rings and if they run with no or light load

Most leaks come from the blower seals from using the air shut down, a runaway, or just because the seals are not that good, the oil coming out of the air box drains is often from the blower. My engine blows the oil that is leaking past them out of the blower block seal area. There is a ton of drilled though ports in the valvetrain area that are copper washer sealed that will leak that modern engines don't have

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
And again Why? DDEC could tweak 600hp from a OEM 8v92, Really doubt that Duramax system delivers enough especially trying to get that Timed from a 4 stroke to a 2. Will not argue semantics or advances, does not justify the end result.

cfherrman

Why have different fuel systems if they are not better? I won't bother to explain, you can look up the difference in common rail systems compared to 1936 injection systems.

JaredV

I fished on a boat with an 8-71. Fishing tuna it ran fairly light all day long and slobbered oil out the exhaust. A friend who ran them in trucks years ago told me to run it a gallon low. Tried it and no more oil out the exhaust.

cfherrman

If I didn't burn up the trans id still be making money on my two stroke.

There's a few companies that still have them in rigs making money every day.

I'm still glad I changed it for a n14

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Hard parts obsoleting or already gone, numerous in salvage yards but dwindling pretty quick as iron prices rise, too low demand to keep around. Are literally none in daily use around here anymore.