• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Problems with volvo Excavator

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
As to the comment on fuel quality I don't buy into that in any way. The USA has gone to low sulfer diesel which has an inherent need to produce higher quality fuel. Very shortly we will be using ultralow sulfer diesel which has to be even better. If you are getting dirt or water in your fuel, your supplier should be getting cooked on the same burner as the Volvo salesman.

John, Western Australia has been on Low Sulphur since 2000. The issue is not dirt or water in the fuel...its a case of manufacture quality being good enough for the new generation engines. The political spin on low sulphur said things like "cleaner" and higher quality" ... well, aside from the reduction in sulphur and various additives for lubricity nothing has changed...its as simple as that. Please have a read of this:

http://www.fuelsavingsite.com/articles/diesel_fuel_quality.php

I've no doubt that this guy is spin doctoring to some extent because of his "vested interest but he does put it in a nut shell. Not 12 years ago when I was handling a lot of fuel the shelf life of diesel was measured in years...up to 100 years for NATO spec F76....now we are talking months or weeks.

Last edited:

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
I agree with u squizzy, diesel fuel quality has not risen over the years.:(

Here by us we are using military F-34 fuel on everything that moves.
And thats kerosene + some additives.

Sometimes we are unlucky and go empty and have to get diesel in our tanks, when not close to a military gas station.
Fill your tank 2 -3 times and the diesel leaves all kind of **** inside the tanks, lines and system.:mad:

When we then add F-34, that is thinner and a real cleaner for the system,
Hell brakes loose.
Filters then get clogged and we have to go to the workshop and flush the whole system. It's realy unbeliavely how much polution its in the diesel fuel.

A fuel system runned on F-34 is absolutely steel clean inside, the fuel is like water and u can se the bottom of the tank through the fuel.
Try that on diesel....

F-34 has a lot of other drawbacks but that's a different discussion...:confused:

I would first take som samples of the fuel and see how the quality is on it.
Then take a talk with the dealer regarding the problem.;)

tw_692000

Occupation
heavy equipment opperator /assistant foreman
power boost on ew170 volvo excavator

Theres no power at the thumb button on joy stick or on the rocker switch from hammer/boost. Also the lift man with barbells on instrument panel doesnt light up during prestart check. Checked all the fuses and looked for relays behind the seat. We have no electrical books on this for me to go by. Mechanic said that it wasnt important but it runs the hammer on the same control button. Any information i could get to help me find the solution to this problem would be greatly appericaited.

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Theres no power at the thumb button on joy stick or on the rocker switch from hammer/boost. Also the lift man with barbells on instrument panel doesnt light up during prestart check. Checked all the fuses and looked for relays behind the seat. We have no electrical books on this for me to go by. Mechanic said that it wasnt important but it runs the hammer on the same control button. Any information i could get to help me find the solution to this problem would be greatly appericaited.
look on the right side of the cab. there should be a row of switches, look for the one that has a grapple/ hammer picture on it ( i will look tomorrow but i think that is whats on it) take the switch and move it back and forth from the thumb to hammer position. On our if you accidentally hit that button while the machine is running the thumb will completly drop all the way down, and wont go back up. you have to cut the machine off, wiggle the switch while the machine is off and leave it in the thumb postion before cutting it back on, then it should work. Then the light of the man with the weights will light back up on the control screen
Hope that helps.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF tw 692000! :drinkup

tw_692000

Occupation
heavy equipment opperator /assistant foreman
look on the right side of the cab. there should be a row of switches, look for the one that has a grapple/ hammer picture on it ( i will look tomorrow but i think that is whats on it) take the switch and move it back and forth from the thumb to hammer position. On our if you accidentally hit that button while the machine is running the thumb will completly drop all the way down, and wont go back up. you have to cut the machine off, wiggle the switch while the machine is off and leave it in the thumb postion before cutting it back on, then it should work. Then the light of the man with the weights will light back up on the control screen
Hope that helps.

yes i know of that switch on my machine it is a pic of man with barbells /hammer , the trash thumb is on a pedal on the floor.I checked this switch with a test light no electrial power is there or on the joystick push button that activates the power boost/hammer. The man with weights on the control screen will not light up @ all even during prestart when it goes through its start up test <when all the buzzers go off then stops before you start the machine> the man quit lighting up like it did when the boost worked! thank you 4 all the information i'll try what you said and see if that works !

Countryboy

Occupation
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums loneranger16125! :drinkup

MDD

I have a 160 and had the same problem for the first 1000 hrs. after that is got better for some reason.

Countryboy

Occupation
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums MDD! :drinkup

Countryboy

Occupation
thanks Countryboy, I joined a while back, but havnt posted till now.

I'll help you out and turn your second post into a thread in the Excavator Forum. It will be called "Volvo Turn-table seal problem". :)

bigduke

Has anyone had problems with the fuel filters on volvo excavators?
We can only go about 250 hrs before they have to be changed. You will be working and have about 5 minutes of warning, machine will loose power, then it will completly cut off leaving the machine stranded in all types of places. will not crank until the filters have been replaced. Other than that it has been a great machine!

I had the same problem with my loader and was told to use that lucas fuel conditioner, it worked it still happens but very rarely plus it feels like it has more power but not sure about that.

mcslamma

Just wondering if you have noticed any discolouration of the fuel. becouse there have been cases of a bacteria that grows in the fuel, and it turns it almost black, but what it does is coagulates in the filter paper of the filters and totally restricts the flow, it starts with a batch of contaminated fuel and just keeps growing.. worth a look?

steve.k

Occupation
owner operator oilfield construction company.
240 does this to

Yes this has happend to our 240 Volvo hoe also,it gave us a code which the dealer said was low fuel pressure,we changed filters twice and the way it went?I thought it was bad fuel but none of the other machines did this?

bobin35

Is there a screen in the fuel inlet at the pum some exc. have a banjo fitting at the transfer pump take it out and see if screen is plugged.