• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Problems with massy ferguson 245 diesel

randy79

I have a massy 245 diesel it started running rough after 1100 rpm. I checked fuel lines and changed primer pump thinking it was not getting enough fuel no different. I had to use the tractor to move some snow and ran it for about half hour and now see fuel I think at the top of the muffler. When the unit is running and I use a little quick start in the air cleaner it run smooth. I can't tell if its under fuelling or over. How can I tell if its a injector problem or injection pump thanks for any help

Delmer

If the injector pump is starving for fuel like you first thought, I'd expect it to stall when you put a load on it, not when you run at "fast idle". Will it rev up to normal speed? and does it sound the same from 1,100 up? No idea what to make of the quick start improving it??? Did it run OK the whole half hour aside from the roughness?

The usual procedure to rule out injectors is to loosen the lines one line at a time, the one that doesn't make it run worse isn't working right. You can then swap two and see if the injector is the issue or the cylinder/pump, and do a compression test to check the cylinder.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Possibly a fuel pump timing problem if it's at higher rpm. Did you touch anything on the fuel pump before this happened.

old1

Occupation
Selfemplyed
You probably have already checked this; but I will just relay my past experience. Though my problem wasn't on a Massey.

We had a problem on a tractor, that seemed like the situation you describe. So, first off we changed the primary and secondary fuel filters; not knowing how long they had been on the tractor, as we just bought it. The fuel starving problem, ( so it seemed), was till there. Of course we didn't want to get into the pump, if we didn't need to.

Then somebody remembered, they had a starving problem years before.

There was a screen at the injection pump, that turned out to be clogged. We cleaned it and the problem was fixed.

I don't know if your pump has a screen; but it may be a place to look. And a lot cheaper than getting into injectors and and the pump.

old1

randy79

The tractor won't rev over 1100 that's just how high it will go. It will idle. For the half hour it ran bad to. I have not touched the fuel pump timing so it does not run good at all. I never thought of a screen I will check thanks. It does not run well enough to crack injectors and hear and differences

Delmer

It does not run well enough to crack injectors and hear and differences

Huh? did you try it already? I would think if it's running real rough and you disconnect one of the good cylinders then it would be obvious. If you tried it and got no difference then I'd look at the fuel supply to the pump.