• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Problems with Bomag Roller on a paving job

Snatch

Occupation
Civil Engineer/ Contractor
Hi

I was doing a asphalt paving job yesterday and while rolling the asphalt with my Bomag 120 AD3 roller we noticed lots of smoke coming from the left axle in the front drum and the machine had also lost power and shut off.

After about 30 mins we restarted and it worked fine...

Has anyone experienced this before. What would be a possible cause why this occured and how to rectify it.

Thanks
Snatch

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I can't help with the problem, Snatch, but I'll point this out to everybody--Snatch is on an island in the middle of the Caribbean Sea, so getting sombody from the dealership out to look at the machine might not be very easy.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I can help
the brake is on! you are draging the brake. There should be a small lever that applys hydrolic preasure to the parking brake to release it. the brake is a disk about 5" in dia. with a disk pack behind it. this disk is dished inward toard the brake pack and like a spring applys preasure to the pack. it needs Hyd. preasure behind it inorder for it to release. The brake release lever on my 100 ADL is along side the seat on the left side. There should also be a light and buzzer that comes on when the motor is running and the brake is applyed.

Attachments

• Bomag hot brake web.jpg
    Bomag hot brake web.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 3,263
  • Bomag brake lever.jpg
    Bomag brake lever.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 2,867

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I agree on the brake problem.I don't remember who actually makes those rollers but I see them with various names on them.They are actually a pretty tough machine and work pretty well.I ran one off and on for a few years and it was branded "Case" with a Hatz diesel in it and it had a lever on the front kick panel that activated the parking brake.I don't remember seeing any lights anywhere but the lever controlled a valve body with hoses going to it.I never dreamed it could be a brake until someone pointed it out to me just before I left for another job.It would have been nice to know since I moved it quite often with the lowbed.Ron G:rolleyes:

Snatch

Occupation
Civil Engineer/ Contractor
RonG & Hall,

Thanks for your input it definitely sounds like a breaking problem. However I can't seem to find the brake lever on the Bomag 120 AD3 Machine. I looked every where. Anyone know where I can find it??

Thanks,
Snatch

chewy

ad-3 smoked

if memory serves, left front is for vibratory, sounds as if vib motor has gone belly up. can cause hyd. oil to overheat result in temp shutdown. ad-3 has elect selonoid to activate brake release when power is applied. brake switch is magnetic located in (FNR) FORWARD NEUTRAL REVERSE HANDLE. hope this helps

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF chewy! :drinkup

Nick Abeyta

Check the elastomers (rubber-mount) on the drum - If these go bad during continued operation, they overheat and can start to smoke just like tires, then they can ignite.