• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

problems with 310D

Deon

I had to replace the tapered bearing of the 4 wheel drive shaft. This is the splined shaft that points forward coming out of the bottom left of the main transmission. If had a set of shims that took up the play. I assume the other tapered bearings are setup the same way. There should not be any up and down or side to side play.

Delmer

Radial, axial, or rotational ? Side to side play doesn't mean anything to me.

Monserandsons

Occupation
owner/operator of carpentry an excavation business
Deon, were you able to replace from underneath by removing the cover over the shaft? Them mfwd shaft has more play. Delmer, the play is axial on both shafts

Deon

Ok Delmer, let's get technical here LOL.
Side to side = radial, in and out = axial.
A tapered bearing should not have a lot of radial or axial play.
Rotational play can't be caused by the bearing, but only by the spines, gears, key, u-joint or whatever is attached to the shaft.
Ok Monserandson, do you want to try again?:)

Deon

Deon, were you able to replace from underneath by removing the cover over the shaft? Them mfwd shaft has more play. Delmer, the play is axial on both shafts

Your faster than me Monserandson. If you have axial play, you must also have some radial play in a tapered bearing. Unless the shaft is sliding in and out of the bearing. But that shaft should not do that as I think there is a tapered bearing at both ends. Best to check the parts diagram to be sure.
From what I remember, the shim goes under the retainer ring bolted to the outside of the bearing. So you remove the retainer and add a shim and reassemble to check the play. May take several tries to get it right. But you should remove the bearing and look it over first as your play may be caused due to wear.

Monserandsons

Occupation
owner/operator of carpentry an excavation business
Your right play is radial, but as said must affect axial which I didn't check, also just found the adjustments in the technical manual. Sometimes I have a hard time with these factory Deere manuals. Your right shims for both, but described as adjusting end play and I'm assuming this also decreases radial play. And appears can be done from outside however bearing on transmission input shaft doesn't appear can be changed without shaft removal.

dcvee

Occupation
OPS Manager, Mech. Eng.
...wish I could be of help...I'll be doing this (Reverser/Pump/friction disc rebuild) in the spring!! So nice to have someone report back after rebuilding theirs. This is a semi-common issue with these machines and it's nice when folks return to their posts and educate the rest of us!!

Don