• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Problem with Cat VC60D forklift

FastZcars

Your are going to think this is a dumb question, but .... I see where to drain the transmission at the bottom is a nice big drain plug. However, what I cannot find is where to put the oil back in the transmission. When I was talking to Darr today, they indicated there is a dip stick for the transmission.. but guy, I have been working on cars for 30 years, and I cannot find a dipstick on that transmission. I have looked on the high side, and I have looked on the low side. I figure there might be a check plug in the side of the transmission, but I cannot even find one of those. I have looked in the service manual for this dipstick, and while I do see mention of one, there is no reference to this location. I removed that torque converter plate thinking it might be under there, but I also want to check the timing once I fire it back up.

Since the oil in that 'transmission' filter was blackish, and not the nice cherry red, that leads me to think the oil in the tank does not circulate in any way with the transmission section. However, there are hoses upon hoses that seem to cross each other and kind of lead back to the tank over all.

That oil in that tank filter is dextron in my opinion. I have smelled that stuff for many years, and if the fire proof water based one does not smell like dextron, this definitely does.

FastZcars

Ok, I can now answer most of my own questions so there is at least a reference place for someone else in the future.

The most important question was " Where is the transmission dipstick on a VC60D with the serial number 2MC0.. Not 2MC1. 2MC0 transmissions do not have a dipstick on the transmission itself. There is a dipstick on the differential right behind the fork lift mast main cylinder. The differential shares its oil with the transmission, and the filter in the above picture is that filter for the transmission and differential. Now, the oil recommended for replacement is Cat T04. The unit was released however with T02, and now T04 is the replacement. From what I understand, T02 was 10w, and T04 is 30w... I might have mis-understood that part however during my discussion with the Caterpillar tech. The replacement amount of oil is about 4 gallons. Mine actually only needed 3.75.

The hydraulic oil in my tank is Dextron based on my smell test. So, I put dextron in it and all seems fine with that. Caterpillar tech indicated that T02 was the preferred oil in the tank, but I did not want to drain this tank right now.

SA stands for 'special application' as in it gets the good more powerful diesel 3.3L engine. That would have been nice to have.

The inching petal was discussed a little with the Cat tech, but I did not want to get into that just yet since I have not read the manual enough to understand how that system works. I know mine is not working correctly, and the Cat tech was not surprised. He is even the one that asked me if it was working properly.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
It sounds like you're getting most of your issues sorted out. I can't say for certain about your particular Cat truck, but most inching pedals work by shifting a valve spool that dumps oil pressure to the forward (or reverse) clutch packs causing them to release and give you a sort of "neutral". For example, using the inching pedal allows you to depress the pedal, disconnect drive, and throttle the engine to quickly raise mast, all without selecting N on fwd/rev lever. ;)

FastZcars

Well, I want to update this and see if I can get some help in the tuning the propane carb.

I have now changed the VFF and regulator. I also changed the diaphragm in the carb.

It has gotten a little better on the power. It will now at least pull itself up the very small incline I have going into my shop. No load however. This is still the problem. When I pick up a load it lifts the load just fine. Today I lifted 3000lbs, and it came right up. However, I could not move an inch. So, I picked up about 500lbs and once I got to moving, it was at least moving. I put the load down however, and bog bog bog, no load, cannot back up. I go forward what little I can, and put it in reverse again, and finally slowly and surely, it moves to the backward direction.

The engine just does not make RPM's . It acts just like it is staving for fuel.

Ok, so i get out the service manual and look at carb adjustments. There is one problem with this however. my service manual is for a VC60 2MC1 and my VC60 is a 2MC0 serial number. The pictures in the book look completely different on the carb itself, and the adjustments do not make sense.

So, I have attached the pictures of what my carb looks like. Its reads CA125 on the very top. then on the plate that is riveted to the carb it reads..

Hoof Governor
The Pierce Company
2800FL-3000NL
S126B

that is all I can read on it for sure. Any help in tuning is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1643.jpg
    IMG_1643.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 4,232
  • IMG_1641.jpg
    IMG_1641.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 4,317

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That gizmo with the riveted plate is an overspeed governor, it has a butterfly plate similar to the one in the bottom of the carb. When engine speed reaches a certain high RPM, it closes the butterfly plate inside the venturi. With engine not running or running within acceptable RPM's, the butterfly plate inside the governor should be fully open. First remove your carb, make certain that butterfly plate is open. If it is, re-install carb. Then remove the riveted plate. Start engine at idle and make sure the internal linkage is not closing plate at idle. Same thing with engine revved slightly up to full RPM. If the plate never closes, doubtful it's the cause of your problem. But if that plate is closed, either repair the governor, or disable it, your choice. :)

Phqford

Ok, I can now answer most of my own questions so there is at least a reference place for someone else in the future.

The most important question was " Where is the transmission dipstick on a VC60D with the serial number 2MC0.. Not 2MC1. 2MC0 transmissions do not have a dipstick on the transmission itself. There is a dipstick on the differential right behind the fork lift mast main cylinder. The differential shares its oil with the transmission, and the filter in the above picture is that filter for the transmission and differential. Now, the oil recommended for replacement is Cat T04. The unit was released however with T02, and now T04 is the replacement. From what I understand, T02 was 10w, and T04 is 30w... I might have mis-understood that part however during my discussion with the Caterpillar tech. The replacement amount of oil is about 4 gallons. Mine actually only needed 3.75.

The hydraulic oil in my tank is Dextron based on my smell test. So, I put dextron in it and all seems fine with that. Caterpillar tech indicated that T02 was the preferred oil in the tank, but I did not want to drain this tank right now.

SA stands for 'special application' as in it gets the good more powerful diesel 3.3L engine. That would have been nice to have.

The inching petal was discussed a little with the Cat tech, but I did not want to get into that just yet since I have not read the manual enough to understand how that system works. I know mine is not working correctly, and the Cat tech was not surprised. He is even the one that asked me if it was working properly.

Phqford

Can you tell me where you found the hydraulic filter? I to am restoring an old v50d and can only locate the trans/diff filter and the engine oil filter.