• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Problem loading rollers

Bill Haas

Loading our rollers on Beaver tail trailers when the ramps are wet has been a problem. We have tried laying rubber mats on the ramps to no avail. We are looking at maybe mounting winches to assist in loading with hopes that that will prevent the rollers from sliding off. Anyone have an idea or found a trick that works??

mouse

Occupation
(wishfully) avoiding work as much as possible
out of curiosity, bill, are those rubber mats bolted down?

Bill Haas

no they are not. the problem with that is when we load a dozer, the tracks tear it up. dirt digger had a good idea; lay down a sheet of foam like the stuff between a mattress and sheet.

surfer-joe

Extra long ramps and very low height trailers are the usual answer. Also used to back up and take a high speed running lunge for the ramp, hoping that momentum would carry the day. Make sure that roller drums and ramps are clean and dry. Any water or mud will lubricate things enough to cause a loss of friction and potential disaster if the roller goes over the side. Do not attempt to load if trailer is sitting on an angle to one side or the other. Good Luck!

Komatsu 150

We tried this with skid loaders in the winter, was not terrific but might work better with a roller: two used snow mobile tracks with steel hooks bolted on the ends. We just hooked them on the top rung of the ramps, then took them off.

Dualie

Honest answer. The best thing I have found is a couple of hand fulls of plain ordinary dirt. I take big cat 534 rollers over the tail of my Murray all the time. some times it puckers my butt but most of the time with a little ground speed and a couple of handfuls of ole mother dirt on the rear they climb right up.

mdterp

make sure the wheels are dry, throw some dry sand or dirt on the ramps and take running start. Also, be ready to jump off if it startes to slide one way or the other. Not the safest but it works

Dualie

Oh I should have mentioned in my above hand full of dirt post.

ONLY advised if you can keep the trailer and the roller completely level during the process. If either is leaning one way or the other best strap on your seat belt before taking a run at it.

Lowbeding aint easy. It takes a hell of a pair to be a full time lowbeder. among other things

brian falcone

tires

we cut the treads off 4 used truck tires. makes a nice steel belted rubber mat that wont tear or rip. place them on the ramps and the rollers and even the paver will climb right up. once your loaded we throw them right into the pavers hopper for next time.

Simon

After several years within the Australian transport industry, I found the best results for loading rollers in wet or dry conditions was to a) have hard wood inlays on the loading ramps, and b) have a bag of "kitty litter" on the truck at all times, to spread on the steel ramps. This was especially effective in very wet weather. By "kitty litter" I mean the stuff used in workshops to soak up oil spills. Good Luck.