• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pro operators rate new Wacker loader, excavator, site dumper

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
Evaluation of Wacker's 850 Loader, 8003 Excavator and 6001 Site Dumper

Construction Equipment took a Wacker 850 all-wheel-steer wheel loader, 8003 excavator and 6001 site dumper out to the International Union of Operating Engineers Local 150 Skill Improvement facility. A few of their instructors spent some hours operating them and evaluated the machines for us.

The surprise star was the 6001 site dumper, an 84-hp articulated dump truck with 13,200-pound (6-tonne) capacity. The dump bed swivels 180 degrees, 90 degrees left and right of center, so it can dump to either side of the machine.

But the operators also had great things to say about the 60-hp, all-wheel-steer loader, particularly after challenging it with stability maneuvers that would have rolled an articulated loader. The 9,900-pound (4.46-tonne) rigid-framed loader uses coordinated steering from the axle ends, much like today's telehandlers, to turn. Check out the video for a sense of the pucker factor when the operator turns a circle on a 40-percent slope.

The 16,800-pound (7.6-tonne) excavator got good marks, too.

We tried to get a pretty thorough evaluation of the innovations in Wacker's new compact earthmover line. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Larry

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
The surprise star was the 6001 site dumper, an 84-hp articulated dump truck with 13,200-pound (6-tonne) capacity. The dump bed swivels 180 degrees, 90 degrees left and right of center, so it can dump to either side of the machine.

Could this be the great breakthrough in the USA 's civil engineering world :D
It will be intresting to see what you boys over the pond make of that piece of equipment. Here in the UK we couldnt survive without it but it hasnt caught on over there.

buddy605

Occupation
Engineering tech/ survey
can't see the use for either one. the dumper is tto small for the projects I am on we useally are not as space restructed as they are in the UK. A tool carrier loader would do the same job as efficiently but is more versatile. As for the loader too small small farm tractor would do the same.

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
Wacker Neuson has a 9-tonne site dumper model in Europe, that they sell with a cab option. They may end up bringing that model here.

Another truck with the same swivel-dumping ability and 10-tonne capacity is this Hydrema 912C articulated dump truck.

I'm not selling the things. I just think it's interesting that the past couple of years have seen six or eight models of these machines, including these site dumpers from Terex, introduced to North America.

Clearly they're not for everybody, but I think the operators from Local 150 hit on a few pretty logical applications.

L

RoadDoc

Komatsu has had a dump rig in the US for a few years now. It's on an excavator undercarriage and rotates 360 degrees. Same cab and controls as their excavators. Really sweet rig. Great for outfall sewer line and such (almost always in a swamp with no room to turn a machine around).....:D:cool:

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
can't see the use for either one.

Thought I was reading about thumbs, but thats a different thread :D

buddy you are quite probably correct in your situation, like the UK and thumbs. :)
It will be intresting to see if some of our strange ways of working will cross over in time.
The Australian engineers I have had the pleasure of working with over the past few years remark on how little we utilise wheeled loading shovels / tool carriers in the UK compared to what they have experienced back home. :beatsme

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
I really like a side dump bucket for pipe jobs

yes, very good for working in the roadway, trouble is less experienced drivers try and do the same on dirt and usually end up frightening themselves when the edge starts to give. :rolleyes:

tacbob

what are these machines like to operate??? They have just been introduced over here in aus and I'm a little interested in how they will be over here? They are all brands that I havn't heard of b4.

tacbob

Sorry I don't mean that. My previous post asked what these machines are like to opperate and how they rate. I realise that they are not a part of cat or anybody else, I just wanted to know if they are a leading brand in some part of the world??? Over here in aus I have never heard of anything other then just Wacker as there own compaction equipment.

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
Wacker — a German company that has spent 50 years building a reputation supplying tampers, light towers and other light equipment — merged with Neuson in 2007 and the company renamed Wacker Neuson (pronounced like “noise-on”) now also offers compact equipment that has been marketed under the Neuson Kramer brand.

The story referred to in the first post of this thread is a compilation of impressions from hands-on testing by three professional operating engineers. They were impressed with the machines' performance, and without prompting began talking about the applications where these machines might provide value in North America.

There's lots more at Wacker Neuson Compact Earthmovers Move Site Materials Faster and Safer

Hope this helps,

Larry

fendtman

N kramer

did they take over the former kramer wheel loaders out of gernmany for differnt kramer.

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
Neuson bought Kramer, the German wheel loader manufacturer -- or a part of it, I'm not exactly sure -- before the Wacker merger.