• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Primary Hydraulics 2010 Volvo EC140CL 3,100hrs

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Agree with above. Look at your main relief. Is the paint still in tact, or has it been tampered with?
I would start by turning the main in 3/4 of a turn. See if you make a gain in the travel function. Mark the main prior to adjusting. Use a paint marker or sharpie or something.
It looks like you have all the supporting info.

just-a-mechanic

Thanks all!

Ok, I cleaned the main relief, that was exactly the issue I was having. Ok didn’t see any evidence of trash, but that mush have been it.

I’m about 4200/4500 psi now. The excavator is operational.

I think I might still have an issue, I’m not sure.
Do both pumps need to apply pressure when you boom down? Or is only one supposed to?

I noticed when I was in the mud about stuck the machine didn’t seem to have enough force to pull me out of the muck. I checked pressures and only #2 pump was applying pressure when I’m a boom down operation.

does this seem right?

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
Often there is confusion when boom down stall happens it can be a result of how the machine is operated, if you can receive full pressure at boom down stall that is all you can hope for.
Kind regards
Uffex

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Looking back, now that you've straightened out your main relief, it's time to check all functions against specs. Additionally, check functions with a temp gun. So when you curl your bucket in/out , shoot surface temp, hold over relief for 10 seconds or less. See if the barrel or hoses heat up. Heat indicates bypass. Perform the same test on arm and boom, obviously you can only do boom up without digging a big hole. You definitely have one or more piston packing degrading based on what the return filter looked like. If you have a storage drum, I would advise draining the tank so you can pull and inspect the sump strainer. The last thing you want is to starve your pumps of oil.
Really glad to read it was a simple fix.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Looking back, now that you've straightened out your main relief, it's time to check all functions against specs. Additionally, check functions with a temp gun. So when you curl your bucket in/out , shoot surface temp, hold over relief for 10 seconds or less. See if the barrel or hoses heat up. Heat indicates bypass. Perform the same test on arm and boom, obviously you can only do boom up without digging a big hole. You definitely have one or more piston packing degrading based on what the return filter looked like. If you have a storage drum, I would advise draining the tank so you can pull and inspect the sump strainer. The last thing you want is to starve your pumps of oil.
Really glad to read it was a simple fix.
Thats first class advice
Regards
Uffex

just-a-mechanic

Thanks!

That is great advice, and I have already completed the intake strainer part and drained the tank. The intake strainer is clean, maybe replaced?

I’ve changed out about 35 gallons of oil as I plan to do it again sometime soon, as I used fairly cheap AW46 oil.

what does the heat gun indicate, I understand heat is generated when oil is made to work, such as in bypass.
...!

never mind, I answered my own question. If heat is not generated when placed in a bypassed condition, then the pressure relief for that function is already in a bypassed condition. Smart troubleshooting.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
A alternative method would be to measure equipment creep, I guess you have that information.
Kind regards
Uffex

TVA

Just a small reminder - when re adjusting port reliefs, you got to temporarily raise main reliefs pressure higher then intended port relief.