• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Prepare thy equipment............

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Had a Miller generator welder giving me a tough time.
Brought it into the garage to work on.
Stupid me had quite a few field mice nest in it.
Fixed the wiring a week ago and had to go get pellets 20 bucks, and 4 traps.
Got 7 so far, gonna pay for it for a while. Lol

seville009

What i started using last year around the house are glue traps - the larger ones (maybe 6”x3”).

i just lay them on the floor in areas where mice travel (next to the wall) or where they visit. I don’t even bait them.

Caught about ten in the house in the Spring , then pretty quiet during the summer. Caught two more yesterday.

joe--h

How the hell did a mouse get into a computer?

Bucket traps work great, you tube has hundreds of them.

Joe H

aighead

I've seen glue traps with only legs attached... Goo!

So, we've got mice in the shed and in the barn. With both places being more or less outside is it smart to stick traps out there with any kind of bait? I fear drawing in more rodents than were there in the first place... (Maybe I've asked this before?) I'd love to get rid of the ones that are currently running around machines but I don't want to invite more to come along with the sweet, sweet smell of free peanut butter.

aighead

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid that option... I'm also hoping that soon enough the barn will be sealed up enough that they couldn't get in or out, but I know that is basically not an option with mice.

suladas

Thankfully we have no rats here, so nasty. I like the big boxes unbaited against walls, no way out for them and they will still go in there if there is already some in there. I've found since moving to a concrete yard last year, never seen a single one outside, or in the shop.

aighead

Vetech I'm fine with them as well as long as they aren't messing up my stuff. And I'd prefer them not pee and poo everywhere. My wife is terrified of them.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender

Truck Shop

I have a rat story told to me by a guy who worked for a Cat dealer.

This guy I will call Ryan got to work on a Monday morning early. The parts manager came to the back and
asked him to go to the storage room and look for a engine block for a early D8, like before 14A models
late 40's/50's. He found it-manager told him to dig it out get it ready to ship to Chehalis.
He asked the manager why would anyone need that, never you mind was the reply.

The Chehalis shop was restoring this old D8 for a old retired logger. The previous Friday the engine had
just been set in-place before 5 pm and the fellers in the shop decided to all head to the local watering hole.
That night the alarms went off and the local security guy shows up but doesn't know what he's looking at
but it didn't look right, he calls the store manager.

Manager shows up and probably crapped himself was Ryan's guess. When the boys left to go drinking
they left the overhead hoist hooked to the engine sling. A insurance investigator was summoned he
climbed up and looked the overhead hoist over----------and found a Fried Rat.

The rat had shorted out the ancient hoist which lifted the engine out of the frame--dead headed the
thimble/hook--cable let go dropping that engine from what Ryan said was 20 plus feet.
It tore up a lot more than just the engine. A happening.

NC tried to keep that one all {Hush, Hush}. The hush, hush must be said with a British accent----
Terry Thomas.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I want to try one of those co2 cartage powered bolt traps.

Be glad you don't have pack rats, those mice are amateurs compared to these things. Mice might bite a few wires, pack rats will strip the vehicle.

Pack rats are the worst, we discovered a big den next to a pump house while trenching once, the bugger had found his way inside and was taking PVC fittings off a shelf and taking them underground. Looked the plumbing section at HD when the hoe bucket came up.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Pack Rats and Chipmunks at Salem MO BILs farm, will carry off what can drag or bury in acorns and nest materials where any sized hole for said products exist. Mice get into farm tractor brake housings, have to vacuum the areas as much as possible over a year. Leads to frozen adjuster threads for brakes and inability to adequately stop if pack much in there, dread a fire from friction application.