• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Powerhouse Prowler mini skid

FIREMANMARK

Occupation
Firefighter
Hello everyone, I need some help.
I have a Powerhouse Prowler stand-on, Mini-skid steer Compact Utility Vehicle. That's allot of name for a little machine. It's a 2002 model and originally was a Home Depot rental. The last owner had it shipped in from California and now resides at my house in Pittsburgh. It's a great worker but over the years has had allot of people work on it that I don't think knew exactly what they were doing. Which has me begging the question. Does anyone know where I can get information for this machine? I need an electrical schematic and an owner’s manual. I'm having a problem with the charging system and could use this info to fix the machine. Thank you for your help!

It's a powerhouse Prowler
Serial # 000164
There is a number on the machine tag but it's not model or serial# 301052P
year 2002
24hp Honda V-Twin gasoline engine (the following are the #'s on the engine)
e11 *97/68SA *2002/88 *0326 00 Euro 2
EM Z6G-010
ACN 006 662 862
There are punch out #'s at the bottom of the engine tag that are 6 and J
The original manufacturer was Mertz, Inc. (also manufactures Boxer)
I have contacted Mertz and they have nothing to help me.
Thank you!

Hendrik

FIREMANMARK

Occupation
Firefighter
Thanks Hendrik, I already have that information. I should have put it in the post but was so busy trying to get on the site that I forgot some of the background. I have been researching for info on this machine for weeks. What I need to find is someone that has one or is a mechanic in a shop that could hook me up with a manual or electric schematic. The TL-224 is almost exact but has a different electrical wiring profile because of some different opperations such as the high range switch in the left grip. I have a Manual for the boxer TL-224. but it doesn't explain some functions of the Powehouse Prowler. I don't understand how Mertz can't help me; but I have been on the phone and email with them and nothing. They say that it's old machine (2002). I was talking to a guy at the local rental place and he says that he has machines there from 1976 that are still going and he can find info on them. I can't see how changing ownership on a business makes my model obsolete. (What did they throw away the manuals for spite?).
anyway the only problem with the machine is the charging system. Its only putting out 11.23 volts. I can run it several hours on a charged battery but then it just dies like some thing shorted. I put in another charged battery and it starts and runs like a charm. You wouldn't have any info on how these things charge the battery do ya? I've seen info that said it's a backfeed off the solenoid. I've also heard people say that a generator is built into the motor. I just didn't want to tear it down without knowing what to expect and have a torn down machine in the way while waiting for parts. I'm trying to get new wiring harnesses, switches, control levers and decals to bring this machine back up to store bought. I sent a list of what I need to mertz and they (at their leisure) will let me know what they have.
If there is any additional help I can get from you or anyone else I would soooo appreciate it!!

Hendrik

It would appear you have a GX670 engine some info here http://www.honda-engines-eu.com/en/welcome.html http://www.honda-engines-eu.com/en/images/1000.pdf not for the 670 but should be similar, page 52 for troubleshooting, page 74 for location, although I am confused as to whether it uses 1 or three coils, hang on figured it out http://cssportal.css-club.net/honda/PowerProducts/MAIN010.aspx apparently they come with 3A or 20A charging systems, 3A uses one coil and 20A uses three
http://www.2lcstore.com/catalog/item/6895288/6857172.htm
http://engines.honda.com/parts-and-support/service-support
http://engines.honda.com/pdf/manuals/00X37Z6C6030.pdf page 18 wiring diagram

FIREMANMARK

Occupation
Firefighter
Thank you so much for your help. I have in the last days, been tearing it apart and finding out alot of info. several coils behind flywheel generate 30 + ac volts which is converted to DC at the rectifier. which is then sent to the battery @ 13 volts. It seems that my problem turned out to be in my origional post: Too many cooks in the kitchen..... Bad slpices, incorrect wire sizes used in replacements, dirty/corroded contacts etc.
I have ordered all new wiring harnesses and components that seem to be questionable. I'll rewire the machine "factory". That should take care of the problem. It sure would be nice to find someone with a wiring diagram for the machine. Mertz sent me one that is unreadable. They said it's the only one they have. So I have alot of research to do if I can't find someone with a diagram.
Once again; Thank You for your help!!!

FIREMANMARK

Occupation
Firefighter
by the by I did find out that it is a GX-670 engine. I'm such a dumbot that I didn't even see the big sticker on the engine. Too focused on trying to find the problem...
Thank you!

Smilingreen

FIREMANMARK,

Did you ever find any info on your Power House Prowler? I was a repair tech for CP for over 5 years (the manufacturer of Prowler) and I currently own a Prowler. I can probably answer any questions you have about your mini skid and I have PDF copies of all the technical manuals, engine manuals and parts manuals for the unit itself and the attachments that came with it. Let me know if you still need assistance.

FIREMANMARK

Occupation
Firefighter
Smilinggreen, I did get an electrical diagram that I believe comes real close if not the original. I rewired the entire unit; including the engine (rectifier etc.) for surprisingly cheap (under $400.00). Any diagrams, manuals or tech drawings that you may have would be greatly appreciated. I did buy a new toothed bucket for the machine and the connection didn’t fit correctly and I had to weld on an extra plate to make it fit. My email is schneider2862@gmail.com and like I said; any info on the machine would be great. I really like the machine and it works great. I would love to know why the company stopped making them. Thank you!
Mark

Smilingreen

Mark,
The Prowler was a early 2000's model edition, which was CPI's or Mertz's first attempt at a tracked stand on skid steer, with the exception of the "Prodigy" model, which I always thought was a piece of junk and a waste of time. They made 3 different versions of the Prowler. The fixed track width and the variable width width model. They also made a 4 wheeled version of the Prowler called a "Brute". When they quit making the Prowler line, they introduced the "427 Pro" series, which was a good machine for the most part, but the twin cylinder Kohler motor they had in it was the weak point on it. They didn't last very long in the rental business before they had to have the engine replaced. I like the Honda engine we have in ours much better. They then introduced the "Boxer " line of mini skid steers somewhere around late 2006 or 2007, which for the most part, has been a good machine. The original Prowler line was then re-branded as the Boxer line. The Power House name was dropped. The new Boxer 526DX has a Perkins 3 cylinder motor in it, which is a real work horse. That is the same motor that ASV used in the ASV RC-30 skid steer. The 526DX rides a lot smoother and has a bigger platform to stand on than our Prowler does. I will send you several manuals for you to browse through. Enjoy!

Dave

mrvital

Dave,

I just found this forum. I am the pretty happy owner of a Powerhouse Pro G-524. It has 4 wheels and the Honda v-twin 24 Hp engine. I am having the charging issue that I read about here. I haven't taken measurements yet.

I would love to get copies of the manuals so I could better work on this machine.

thanks!

gary

pcutrer

Prowler Manuals

Dave - I have a Prowler (serial no 818) and would appreciate very much a copy of the technical manuals, parts manuals, etc. I really like the machine as I have owned it for 6 years but I need to replace some parts, mainly spools, and seals but I need the manuals. Again, thank you very much for your offer.

pcutrer@charter.net
or
paulcutrer@gmail.com

FIREMANMARK

Occupation
Firefighter
Thank you everyone for your help.
After a lot of research, Googling, and calling some of the old workers from Compact Power and Mertz. I have all the info for the Powerhouse Prowler with expanding tracks and the Honda engine. I have a post letting everyone with this machine know that I will supply this info.
Email me at schneider2862@gmail.com and I will send it.
Mark

Jim.flimbo

Hi Dave,
This is an old thread so not sure if this will get through. I have recently purchase a 10 year old Kanga 520. Looks very much like a powerhouse prowler. If you still have PDF manuals available I would greatly appreciate a copy.
Thanks,
Jim.

Jim.flimbo

Hi Dave,
This is an old thread so not sure if this will get through. I have recently purchase a 10 year old Kanga 520. Looks very much like a powerhouse prowler. If you still have PDF manuals available I would greatly appreciate a copy.
Thanks,
Jim.

Jim.flimbo

I'm not exactly sure about the history of compact power and what machines they built, but the Kanga I have appears to be an exact copy of a powerhouse pro. See pics.Kanga_G524_machine.jpg_250x250.jpg
images.jpg