• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Possible Reasons for a Highway Truck to have Oil leaking from back wheels?

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Had a Kenworth dump truck come into the shop last fall with 4 leaking wheel seals that "their ex guy" had done earlier. He had jammed Scotseals over Stemco wear sleeves. Nice.
Oh, he was a chisel master on the spindle nuts too. :rolleyes:

crane operator

Oh, he was a chisel master on the spindle nuts too.

Cough, cough................ I will admit to having used a flat punch on the side of the nut in the field. Not a chisel, but yes, a hammer and a big flat punch on the side of the nut and then a channellock on the sucker to pull it off. I don't carry every size axle nut socket in my cardboard box, but a punch and a 4lb hammer are usually available. Any port in a storm. Sorry to the professionals.

He had jammed Scotseals over Stemco wear sleeves
He just thought that was a speedi sleeve to take up the wear. The worst one I pulled apart was a steer axle on a old tms 375 that had been welded back together just past the seal, at one time in the past. I was just working for that company- it wasn't one of mine, and it got shoved back together over my protests. As far as I know, its still running today.

NoelG

If the OP gives the instructor any one of the many ideas expressed and does not give credit to the OP then the OP should give us the instructors email address and we should all tell him what we think of his teaching abilities!

I'll be sure to give you all credit and my instructors are good educators but they also encouraged me and my classmates to do our own research and utilize resources such as this website.

I also want to thank everyone who has posted thus far for their information and suggestions. It is really helpful.