• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Possible New Bobcat 863 owner

Yellowdog

Get the gussetts welded to the boom arms to prevent cracking. the G series came with the gussets from the factory but the C and F series needed them as a dealer add-on. Won't cost much and you could do it yourself if you are a good welder. Look at a G series machine's lift arms (the front) and you'll see what I'm talking about. I had a C series and G series and put about 3500 hours on the two. Good machines. C series is prone to hydro leaks (o rings) and be sure to replace that timing belt now!
The c series leaked all over the place but most of it was easy to fix. Check your chaincase oil while you are at it. You have a great machine for pushing and digging. the power to weight is good with the 863's..

toomacho

Occupation
High School Teacher
Good advice. I have one of those Lincoln welders that plugs into a 110 outlet, I wonder if that would do a good enough job welding? I works well on the buckets and car frames that I have welded on.
As far as the timing belt, the person I bought the machine said it had been changed, its hard to be absoulutely sure of it. There is no real way to tell is there?

TALLRICK

I would use a 220 volt welder with at least 100 amps for those welds. As for the timing belt, you have to remove the alternator, crank pulley (do NOT loosen the big bolt!!!) and remove the covers to examine the belt fully. As a shortcut you can remove the one side of the cover closest to the back of the machine and crank the starter to check belt condition. If you do not see fraying or cracks your belt is most likely good. Any imperfections and change it NOW!

toomacho

Occupation
High School Teacher
Thanks TallRick. I have lots to add to my to do list!
All advice is appreciated and noted.

BruceJ

Does oil wash down back of eng def mean H Gask blown or ??...

replace the timing belt now not later now hundred dollars for the kit and a few hours at the dealer cause you need alot of expensive tools to put it on money well spent now rather than later when its 10 hrs labor to pull the broken belt out remove the muffler and valve cover replace all 8 push rods and run the overhead also being as its an 863 be ready for the control valve to leak at some point being 10 or more years old the seals are getting brittle and brown they start off green unless it has already been resealed then dont worry about it also g series triangle head lights or square f series look the back of the engine over for oil washing down the back for the head gasket to leak known problem fan drive belt under the cab left side make sure its not laying against the drive belt spring if it is it probably needs a fan drive belt idler puller and possibly the fan drive pulley also 1000 hr service good thing to get done also about a grand for the dealer to do parts and labor at least in missouri just things to look at and be aware of not saying that thats whats wrong or going to be wrong but its pretty common to see on them

Hey BCMech, waiting for correct comp test bit for 1011f to check cylinders...have cracked inj lines 1 by 1 with eng running to get a feel for compression and seems even across cyclinders but no real test yet...Can one do a T belt without eng removal??? Mine done 4000hrs and i dont kno more than 500hrs ago of history except that rig was council owned and over here they generally keep maintenance up...thanks mate.

risc4000

I have had an 873 for 4 years now.
Bought at an auction as my first skid steer ever.

I have a horse farm and use it for chore work, snow plowing, and construction around the farm.

I don't want to start a bantering on manufacturers, but if I were to do it today or trade in, I would look at a CAT, ASV, or New Holland and weigh a track vehicle versus tire machine and go with nothing less than 2500lb lift capacity.

It really depends on what your primary uses are and how much time you put on it a year, but i have not been impressed with the long-term survivability of the bobcat hydraulic system. The engine is rock solid.

$8k does sound a little high for a 863 though. negotiate him down a bit.

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
yes the belt can be done without removing the engine with the proper tools timing pins and cam wrench and a five point tamper proof torx bit normal ones have six on a torx bit if you need more info let me know it takes about an hour or so to do

9381dave

As you guys are talking about 863's, I have a odd problem. The float control on the foot pedal has gotten stuck, it won't pop out of float. I have lifted the cab and found that the problem is that the valve will not pop out to go to normal operations. I have gently tried to pry the valve back out but with no movement at all, what to do now??

toomacho

Occupation
High School Teacher
Welcome!

As you guys are talking about 863's, I have a odd problem. The float control on the foot pedal has gotten stuck, it won't pop out of float. I have lifted the cab and found that the problem is that the valve will not pop out to go to normal operations. I have gently tried to pry the valve back out but with no movement at all, what to do now??

This is a good question. I recomend that you get your 3 posts in then start a new thread about your problem. You will get more responses that way.
I would also like to learn more about the float control.

TALLRICK

It really depends on what's going on inside. Getting a manual is a first good start. Debris in the system can cause spool valves to stick and trying to force it loose can score up the housing or the valves. If you cannot get it loose by the pedal and the linkage looks good you need to disassemble the control valve assembly. Usually you can do it right in the loader. If the spool will still not come out, gently rotate it while pulling it out. Either way you need to take it out to check for o-ring fragments, dirt or metal in the system.

9381dave

Thanks for the info. I have decided that the valve is over my abilities and am taking it to the dealer to look at it. Bobcat said on the phone the repair would be around $400, that seems worth saving the frustration and time it would take me to maybe or maybe not get it fixed without causing more damage in the process. Thanks again.

toomacho

Occupation
High School Teacher
Sometimes it is worth paying to have work like that done by a qualified mechanic.

TALLRICK

The hard part is finding or having to make parts. I do not trust mechanics, so I fix all my own stuff. However, if you do not have the confidence to do it, and need it fixed now, the qualified mechanic is the way to go. Hopefully the final cost does not go beyond the initial quote. When I quote someone a price to repair equipment it is only an estimate and the final price could be more, only after getting approval from the owner of course.

choober

You appear very sharp with these machines. I need your help. I have an 863G Bobcat and it stopped running suddenly. The instrument panel illuminated with the general hydro/engine light trouble which is ( ! ). Now it cranks over for a couple seconds and locks out everytime on the insrument panel. I did the self diagnastic and nothing came up. I have read some of your advice on fuel problems. Do you think it is the pick-up tube or bulb? Please feel free to e-mail me back at biltztina@aol.com Any help would be greatly appeciated.