• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pool Demolition - need help bidding

pegodabob

i think if you put a few holes in the bottom of the pool and fill it in with sand and dirt that should do the trick.
The reason you put the holes in the pool floor is if water gets under the pool it will pop it out of the ground but
the holes in the pool floor will let the water go into the pool instead of popping it up.

TEC

I see a waiver in your future. Make sure it's it's done properly, don't just rely on you tax attorney brother in law to draft it for you.

Tom

tmc_31

Occupation
Sports Lighting Contractor
I demolished a 30 year old gunite pool about this size (15'X25' no jacuzzi) a few years ago. I first pumped out about 3' of water from the bottom of the pool. I then knocked two 12" holes in the bottom of the deep end. I drilled 3' into the soil below the pool and back filled those with 1" gravel. I then broke up the apron and the top 3' of the pool wall into 6" and smaller pieces and laid that in the bottom of the pool up to 3' below the final grade. I still had to haul off and dispose of about 2 loads concrete. The pool wall was about 6-9" thick with rebar 12" oc. I used my LX565 skid with a breaker to do most of the work. I had loads of buckshot hauled in and we jetted that into the concrete layer. Then we hauled in clean fill dirt and compacted that with a vibratory roller up to within 12" of the top of the final grade. The final 12" we back-filled with topsoil (also hauled in) and compacted with the roller. It took about a week to wreck out and back fill the pool including hauling off the old pump and filter, putting the fence back up and general clean-up. Planting was by others. Seems like I charged about $10,000 for the job and the customer was glad to get it done for that. He had received several other bids prior to mine. Be sure to include permits and insurance. I checked back with the customer just the other day to see if he had seen any settling. He had not.

I recently bid $21,000 for a pool demo. It is a somewhat larger pool and has a 6'X18" rock wall enclosing it. There is only a 3' gate for access. My bid includes $5,000 for having a rock mason open a 10' hole in the fence and then building it back when the demo is finished. On this job (if I get it) I will rent a mini-ex with a breaker hammer this time for the concrete work. I figured 2 weeks for the project including the rock fence work.

I have heard some people say that it cost as much to take a pool out as it does to put one in.

Good luck,

Tim

tmc_31

Occupation
Sports Lighting Contractor
P.S.

Be careful of the small stuff, I was talking yards of fill with my dump truck operator and he was talking tons!! Surprise when I got the bill.

Tim

1toomanyhobbies

I did most of the demo this past weekend. I was very happy that the concrete was nearly as tough or as thick as i feared. I would have had all the demo completed except for the fact I was climbing out of the pool and curled the breaker to turn the boom and all the sudden i had hydraulic fluid equivalent of niagra falls. :cussing :Banghead I didn't realize the quick connects would hit the boom and bend them. I plan to finish up the demo work this Wednesday and do the fill/compaction as we well.

Question. I have almost a 4x4 foot area in the shallow end and 3.5x4 foot area in the deep. The pool is 10 foot wide by maybe 30 feet. Do the holes sound about right for that size pool?

1toomanyhobbies

And the pictures are where:beatsme

yeah, I know. I have been kicking myself for not getting more pictures but it was 105 degrees temp when we did the work Saturday so we got started very early and worked till mid afternoon before it became too hot to keep going. I will try to take some before I begin with the fill.

I get to finally haul some loads of dirt tomorrow with a dump truck I have been trying to bring back to life before it kills me. :bash I have been able to find a dirt pit that is 1/3 the distance that I thought I was going to have to haul from so I am happy about that. Now if it will only hold off on raining for the next few days...