• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pond pipe

Old Doug

My buddy is cleaning out his pond and ask if i would weld up the pipe. Welding is no problem but were do the plates go how far from the water ?

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Are you talking about the antiseep collars? I believe it depends on the soil, the slope of the pipe, and the diameter of the pipe .

td25c

We never use them on an overflow pipe on top of the dam in good clay soil . I have mixed up a few bags of concrete to place around the pipe close to the waters edge to help it seal off better on new construction until the trench " heals in " .

Upper overflow aint as critical as a pipe under the dam .

When going through / under the dam with a pipe used for a water system we use a 24" x 24" x 1/4" steel plate with a pipe coupler welded in the center .

Install it in the center of the keyway . Press it in with the dozer blade or excavator bucket down to the pipe coupler .

Hand shovel & tamp in around the top of the collar & pipe until it's deep enough to track across it with a machine .

gwhammy

We have put them in without seep collars also. Gov. ponds require two, the first around ten to fifteen feed from the end and another fifteen feet or so on down. The clay around here tends to seal real well. Put one in last year that was four foot in dia. without collar and had no problem.

Old Doug

Its upper over flow and this pond is in the bottoms were there is clay but alot of black dirt.Its a cleanout on a older pond.I have to go get the pipe and was told there is 2 plates with it and from the price of the plates they are not just a plain plate.I am going to weld the pipe at a building 300 feei from the pond then lift one end up and slide it to tne pond

td25c

Yeah Doug , we generally run the first 8 or 10 feet of the pipe about level from the waters edge though the top of the dam .

Then elbow down according to the slope on the dam .

My thinking is it helps keep the water from " chasing " around the pipe until the ditch heals back in .

gwhammy

Done a couple like that td25. I actually like doing them that way instead of the even slope top to bottom. You can dig them in with a backhoe and not have to fight working around the pipe. I like to use plastic pipe this way, it's way easier than fighting a big long pipe in but no one around here wants to break the old way of doing things.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
One thing that must be accounted for is the effect of the slope on the hydraulics. If it was not designed to be put in that way, it shouldn't be installed that way.

td25c

We just moved on a pond job today .

Two old ponds built in the late 1960's . Both get the mud hogged out & one has a problem filling .

Pond holds water fine but due to new construction in the area it lost it's " fill water " during a rain . Scoped it all out this morning and solution is run an 8 " tile to a draw about 200 feet from the pond so she fills when it rains .

Drop a 10" overflow pipe on the outlet side .

Old Doug

Went and got the pipe today i was told it would be a 40' and a 25' but it was a 50'and a 15'. It was even with my front bumper and hung over the back of my trailer 8 foot. The plates were 1/2" 4'x4'.

td25c

100_4321.JPG We installed one overflow this morning . Old farm pond's built in the late 1960's .

Slope on the back of the dam was near 1 to 1 . Ok ... used 45 degree fittings & 3 concrete slugs in the ditch.

CM1995 put me on to spray foaming the fittings . I still owe him a few cases of Hamm's ... :)

Prepped the job with the skid loader / backhoe installing tile , pipe & causeway on the second pond .

Move " Old Roy " in Monday to drag out the mud .100_4317.JPG 100_4319.JPG

Last edited:

td25c

This pond had trouble filling after construction across the county road back in 1982 took all of it's fill water .....

Ironic part is due to the lay of the land pond has water running around it .

Scoped it all out & took some shots with the transit .

We were able to run 8" tile 225 feet to a draw upstream from the pond .

Mixed up some sackcrete poured a small footing across the ditch to envelope the tile . Then toped it with some old precast livestock slats .

Customer called yesterday ... It's full ! They had a 3" rain and she filled overnight :)

We still have to dip out the mud & cat tails but was happy to hear the pond filled .

100_4314.JPG 100_4323 (1).JPG 100_4324.JPG 100_4328.JPG