• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pointers for VICON!

AKSNOW

Occupation
Heavy Eqpt / NCCO Crane operator
Hi , I am starting to move towards friction cranes ( after 4 years of RT 60-90 tonners) and was looking for pointers. I will be in mainly 3 Manitwocs (3900 Truck,and 4000w and 4100w crawlers). I have ran a Link Belt 108 Hylab and American so some experiances with fractions but not with VICON. I tried to pick the brain of retiring operator but he was already "retired" and didn't seem interested.I know the boss really well and he will give time to figure it out but didn't want to make a unnecessary mistake(s). Thanks in advance

Operator4100

VICON Controls

Good Morning, Lets see, you've been on an American that's a start but only a start. When you pull on the American hoist lever you got clutch in and torque all at once, now with the 4100 you pull the hoist lever in to the first detent that is clutch only used for controlled lowering, now when you state pulling farther back on the lever you start getting torque (lifting power) depending on how far lever is pulled and or engine speed. The boom hoist is independent from everything else on the 4100 model, hydraulic variable speed control easy to get used to. The swing is independent also, it has its own converter, slight pull or push on the lever you get clutch in more pull or push and you start getting more torque. The 3900 and 4000 are different, they have a Johnson bar that works the hoist, you will figure that part out, the boom and the hoist work off the same converter so booming up and cable down at the same time with clutch in (not free falling) is a no no your load will start going up so you have to boom up a ways stop and cable down or slip the brake (depending on weight of load). Take your time and be care full until you get used to these Rig's they are not the new fangled EPIC controls of today which I hate that have a delay before they function, Good Luck and keep us informed of your progress, DW

AKSNOW

Occupation
Thank you for the help! I am going out to the yard on Monday and will try your suggestions. I will get back here with progress report and probably more questions. It's currently 10 degrees here and was wondering if there is any special warm up or cold weather tricks?

kat09

Occupation
operating engineer 38yrs.(retired)2013
Golden rule for vicon-never lower a load faster than the crane could hoist it with torque conv. Many ops. have ruined a lot of torques by having a load get away from them and rather than stop it with a squeeling brake they yank back the conv.control and waste the torque. Hope you have winter(suction)fans on or your gonna freeze!!

AKSNOW

Occupation
Sounds good!i am not rushing things and have a great appreciation for the seasoned (not old ) operators. I will try all of these tips out and get some seat time this next week. Thanks again!

Operator4100

Vicon controls

10 Deg.Dang COLD , I'm sure the company you work for have the rigs winterized for that type of weather, they are going be sluggish until they warm up, I've been on the same 4100 for about 4yr. and when it gets cold down here it feels like a different crane until she gets warm. what kind of work are you going be doing up there heavy picks, hanging iron ?? DW

cecil89

Occupation
the best I can be while I am being paid to do my J
Ha ha Love the 4100 not so much for the 3900 or 4000. On older machines make sure to drain that bottom sump. Read the book it is very informative. Learn how to adjust the double band brakes. The 4100 were the king for many years learn the ins and outs. A mechanic that had worked for demag used to tell operators that asked him questions stated "Look in the book It is all in the book" (said in a thick German accent,RIP brother). Oh By the way a 4100 is totally different than a friction American. Americans have their own tricks of the trade.Read the books was on a 4000B and the boom did not want to stop when you took it out of boom down. It was miss adjusted so bad. Out of spec., Someone thought they could just torque the brake band to get their desired affect. Thanks asshat who ever you are.

Last edited:

AKSNOW

Occupation
Yep ! Will read the manuals once on site. Not sure how good of shape they will be in seeing how old they are.thanks for all and any input!