• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Plumbing in hydraulic couplings for a Log Splitter

truant

I am getting parts together to build a 20T log splitter (4" ram) which I want to attach to the bucket hitch of my ZX30U. The method of operation will be to position the splitter attachment, leave the excavator running but operate the splitter using a hand operated control valve on the splitter attachment itself. (not from the seat)
Unfortunately my machine does not have any auxiliary pipes, so I'd like to plumb in pressure and return couplings so I can run hydraulic hoses to and from the log splitter valve.

I'd appreciate any pointers or comments regarding adding suitable hyd take off/return points? Thanks.

Hanomag

Reference your log splitter.

Simplist way (and cheapest) is to tee into the bucket cylinder pipes,fit high pressure taps and quick release couplings.

With the taps turned off the bucket cylinder works normally.

with the taps turned on the bucket cylinder will locked, and the quick release coupling will be live, if you hook the spool block for the splitter into the Q-R couplings.

Good luck

truant

Thanks for the idea.

The couplings would only be live if I held the bucket joystick in the correct position with a cable tie or piece of wire or something, right?

I wonder if the relief valve on the bucket circuit would get hot and become an issue.

Hanomag

I believe that your machine has servo controls.
Once you have hooked up the spool block for your splitter you will need to operate the joystick for the bucket control, BUT, depending on which way round you have connected the splitter spool block you need to make sure that the oil flow from the excavator is entering the splitter block at the correct port (marked P on the casting)and that the oil from the spool block (marked T)goes back to the excavator. So with the engine at tickover, operate the joystick in one direction, if a helper operates the spool block and the splitter ram works fine, if not operate the joystick in the other direction and the splitter ram should work.

All you need to then is (with the engine stopped and the safety lever in the locked position) secure the joystick in the position you want, start the engine, and move the safety lever to the work position. If you need to stop the oil flow to the splitter block just move the safety lever to the 'safe' position (this will cut the servo flow to the joysticks).

Good luck