• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

plugged grease pathway

Goldknight

Fixing up a older backhoe and I have 2 on the grease holes that are plugged. There both on the backhoe swing pivot. Yep there has not been grease in either ho0le for years it seems.

I did get the top pin out and cleaned up. I can see where the pin has moved metal around in the hole and this has plugged the grease pathway. I tried to drill it out but no luck that metal is very hard.

How do you experts out there deal with this kind of issue?

Thanks.

Delmer

If you have the pin out, a straight shot at it, and just need to drill it. Sharpen up a carbide masonry bit and go slow. That will work with the pin in place also.

If you're going to use this a lot, in the long term you might want new bushings and pin in there. But how much do you want to do to it before you're sure it's reliable?

vera66

Occupation
Heavy equipment mechanic/Mixer mechanic
I have used a port a power hooked up to the grease fitting screws in and pump it until the oil comes out or pivot the joint until oil comes out then grease it up

Shimmy1

Porta power not going to work if metal has been moved. Either drill or die-grind out the hole. Grinding a groove parallel, across the hole works well to prevent the hole from plugging again. That and timely greasing.

Goldknight

I burned up 2 carbide drill bits today trying to get through to the pin. I have a hammer drill, I will pick up a carbide mason bit and try that.

Thanks

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Sounds like maybe the bushing has turned or moved in the boss and the grease holes are not lined up or the grease channel is plugged.
It would be a good idea to take the bushing out and clean the grease channel .

Last edited: