• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

plowing with grader

Grader4me

New to me. I would be curious as to how that would pan out. Probably in an area like you describe it might work okay. Must be quite an expensive undertaking though. If it is heated then snow and ice wouldn't bond to it anyway, so maybe there wouldn't be a lot of runoff, but what about the area just as you come off the heated part? Sounds like this could be a place for black ice. :beatsme

Last edited:

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
New to me. I would be curious as to how that would pan out. Probably in an area like you describe it might work okay. Must be quite an expensive undertaking though. If it is heated then snow and ice wouldn't bond to it anyway, so maybe there wouldn't be a lot of runoff, but what about the area just as you come off the heated part? Sounds like this could be a place for black ice. :beatsme

My sentiments exactly. There will have to be some consequences deriving from the transition between heated and non-heated surfaces you'd think.

Then again, what do I know? (Terribly sorry.:eek: )

Grader4me

My sentiments exactly. There will have to be some consequences deriving from the transition between heated and non-heated surfaces you'd think.

Then again, what do I know? (Terribly sorry.:eek: )

I'm sure you will know soon enough. You live there! Happy motoring! :) Seriously though, let us know if you get any more information on this.

Last edited:

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Here is a few from us this winter.
Trbo

Attachments

• snowgrader2.jpg
    snowgrader2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,324
  • snowgrader.jpg
    snowgrader.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,326

Grader4me

Great pictures! Ahhh..plowing with a vee..you have to love it. EZ TRBO...in the picture of the grader opening the road, was it during the last of the season (early spring)? Snow looks quite packy and it looks like the vee is bringing up some dirt.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Yes up until that storm every other snow had been really cold, so fluffy and lots of drifts. We actually had a few good days of melting, and soft shoulders when we got dumped on. Lots of blowing and heavy wet snow, really amazed how much it did drift but the wind blew like crazy. I took the pics as that day I was in the truck and had that road cleared from both sides to that point(bout 300 feet long anywhere from 3 to 8 feet deep). Our grader man had spent the entire morning on the west end of the township just getting it open while myself and the full time patrolman worked the east side with the trucks. Up until this year I had never ran the grader and Kevin, whom is somtimes like a second father to me gave me some tips and said you know enough about equipment to get started and just go slow and pay attention. I really enjoy plowing with the grader. My dad is the Highway Comish. and they had all 4 of there graders out plus the last two Oshkosh 4x4's for most of the storms this winter, with all the blowing we were running out of places to stack snow in the road ditches.
Trbo

Last edited:

Grader4me

Up until this year I had never ran the grader and Kevin, whom is somtimes like a second father to me gave me some tips and said you know enough about equipment to get started and just go slow and pay attention. I really enjoy plowing with the grader. My dad is the Highway Comish. and they had all 4 of there graders out plus the last two Oshkosh 4x4's for most of the storms this winter, with all the blowing we were running out of places to stack snow in the road ditches.

Whewww..I had to get off that 666 post:eek: You guy's have your trucks rigged up as one person plows? I always enjoyed plowing with them once and awhile but would never trade one for a grader.

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Whewww..I had to get off that 666 post:eek: You guy's have your trucks rigged up as one person plows? I always enjoyed plowing with them once and awhile but would never trade one for a grader.

Sorry to butt in & be off topic at the same time. Those triple 6's aren't my cup 'o tea either. I once registered a truck at DMV and those number plates came up, but I refused to accept them from the clerk. She just laughed, I didn't think it was all that funny. The other day, my odometer read 237,666 and I mashed it as hard as I could to the floor to get to the next mile. Weird, Huh?:OMG

EZ TRBO

Occupation
I myself have never run the big Oshkosh trucks but they are ran as two man trucks, the Hwy dept only takes them out in really bad weather now, as the graders only require one person and are a bit more handy, and commfy to operate. The state trucks are Tandem trucks, with the 4 lane trucks having double wings and the rest of the county roads and all the townships use "cookie" trucks, single axles. I myself would rather spend all day in the grader, funner and when you are going down the middle of the road cleaning it out and a small truck comes at you, they don't even think of trying to play chicken.
Trbo

I'll see if I can get some pics of the countys big trucks.

Grader4me

I'll see if I can get some pics of the countys big trucks.

That would be great :)

The other day, my odometer read 237,666 and I mashed it as hard as I could to the floor to get to the next mile. Weird, Huh?

Weird? Noooo..I would have done the same thing....well... maybe a little weird...but I'm with ya on this one :thumbsup

Vahighwayman

Occupation
Injury Retired from Virginia D.O.T. Equipment Oper
When I was with Virginia DOT, we had front mounted angle plows with 11ft blade on our graders. All our graders had front mount scarfiers and the plow mounted on that. They had no side wing attachment, the roads weren't that wide, maybe 15ft at the best and the primary roads 13ft per lane so you didn't have much of a shoulder. With the front plow angled to the right and your circle with belly blade swung out, you were able to push with one pass down one lane and up the other instead of having the trucks make 2 separate passes. The trucks had no side wings either all they had 11ft blades. being from NY in the first place before moving there, I laughed when I saw the trucks with 11ft blades, I asked if we were pushing driveways or highways! To my surprise, there where roads that I thought was someone's driveway..LOL So yet..Me and my Volvo G720B boogied along just fine. All I can say is that I'm glad to be back home in NY.

Grader4me

With the front plow angled to the right and your circle with belly blade swung out, you were able to push with one pass down one lane and up the other instead of having the trucks make 2 separate passes

Yup..Been there and done that. Good to see you back on the forum!

Vahighwayman

Occupation
Injury Retired from Virginia D.O.T. Equipment Oper
Ya it's been awhile..glad to be back..and I'd figured as much that every motor grader operater has done that in the snow areas

sdPete

Occupation
cannotpost
Dakota snow

A bit of action from the end of last season....

Attachments

• snowPlow1.jpg
    snowPlow1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,495
  • snowPlow2.jpg
    snowPlow2.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,744

Grader4me

Welcome to the forum sdPete :drinkup Nice pictures! I'm a little curious about the wing setup (rear lift) as it looks different than what I'm used to.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Welcome to the forum sdPete :drinkup Nice pictures! I'm a little curious about the wing setup (rear lift) as it looks different than what I'm used to.

If I am right, and its like our John Deere, it acts as a stableizer as well as positioning the outer edge of the wing. There is a spring on the long bar that extends out. Works really nice when "shelving" drifts back. I know the Highway Shop has an old CAT 12 that still uses cables, and yes they still use it(and yes I'll get you some pics Grader4me).

Trbo

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
This one would go good with the grader in yout avatar Grader4me. :D

The machine is a Dixie Chopper Zero Turn Mower, claimed to be the fastest in the South :rolleyes:. This was at their tent at the Georgia National Fair.

Now the funny thing about the snow plow attachment is that I've only seen snow in Georgia 3 times in the 26 years I've been living. Only one of them times was it enough to use a plow. :beatsme

But the upside is that I guess you could plow the yard and cut the grass at the same time. :cool:

Oct13_0001.jpg

Oct13_0002.jpg

Oct13_0003.jpg

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
How about plowing with w wheel barrow?

With this one you could arive with sand in it, Plow then sand then load your pile of snow and haul it away.
Kind of an all in one machine.

Attachments

• web Cheap Plow.jpg
    web Cheap Plow.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,349