• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Plowing in the Arctic

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Hi Randy, I like the photo's I was wondering with the water trucks do they require extra heating other than exhaust heating to keep water from freezing in the tank and plumbing?

Auctioneerhere

Brings back memories for me when I was working for Uncle Sam running D7G's in Fairbanks plowing snow out in the middle of nowhere's for practice / keeping roads open.

Had a starter go out & had to change it out at 40 below. That was a nightmare job...

I had to fight the belly pan back up with a come a long...Got it done though.

It was not a few days later a kid started it w/ether when it was to cold & blew the side of the block out.

Randy Krieg

Occupation
Test Pilot/Operator @ Caterpillar's Tucson Proving
Insulated Tanks

245dlc
The Cat 730 trucks have a double wall tank. When the tanks are new they use a hole saw and cut holes between all the bracing. Using a crane they hold the tank at about a 30 degree angle and this Urethane Insulation Companies comes to Cruz’s shop and sprays/pumps this Urethane insulation into all those chambers. Then it sits for a day while all that insulation sets and expands. They neatly trim off all the excess that expands out the vent holes and insert holes. The welders then weld all the hole saw pieces back in and grind them down smooth. A body man smoothes up all the holes and makes the tank pretty again then it gets primed and painted with Marine Epoxy paint.

Most of the ice roads projects I’ve been on the water trucks run two 12 hour shifts so the water never sits in the truck very long. If they get caught in a blow with a full load of water they can just switch two valves in the dog house and circulate the water through the pump and back into the tank. Every once in a while when it gets super cold they send a truck to the drill rig and get a load of hot water on. They bring that truck back out to the job and run that one load through about 4 trucks and clean the ice build up out of the trucks. They never park the trucks empty; they always come back to camp loaded. It takes a long time for that mass to freeze, but if they are near empty it will start to freeze and then chunks get caught in their belly pan dump valve. The doghouse on the back where the pump and valves are housed is heated with a regular Cat heater just like was used in the early model equipment, the coolant lines are all insulated from the engine all the way back to the dog house. They also have a 110 heater which they can plug into when they are in camp.
Regards, Randy