• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Planetary Section Preventative Maintenance - TAK TL-150

Slagathor

Just bought a used Tak TL-150. Bought it from the original owner, 3000 hours on it. Machine is cosmetically a bit beat up, but it feels tight and runs great. The thing that stuck in my mind the most when I checked it out was that all the pins were tight, and looked like they were greased all the time. There was grease everywhere...but there was not slop or rattle at all. I took that as a good sign. Engine started up quick and purred. No smoke on start up or any time...and the hydraulics run great. All the cylinder rods looked great...mirror finish without a scratch..and no sight of any hydraulic leaks. There were also no leaks between the planetary and motor sections of the drive. Tracks were junk, but that is to be expected. The sprokets are pretty new. Rollers and idlers will need to be replaced.

That said, 3000 hours is a lot. Before putting into use, I plan on doing the following:
1. Engine and Hyd oil analysis
2. Change all fluids and filters. I am thinking about using CAT HYDO Adv 10. I like the high zinc content for an older machine like this.
3. Pull the tracks
4. Inspect all the rollers and idlers, and replace or rebuild as needed to bring to spec.

Here is my question
- Should I tear into the planetary section to inspect it?

If the hydraulic oil analysis shows that there is no metal, I can feel confident that the hydraulic motor end is solid. (If here is...then it could be motors or pumps...) But the planetary section is a complete unknown. I guess I can change the oil, and have the oil analyzed? Aside from that there is really no way to tell what shape it is in without tearing it apart. I have a machine shop and half the Starrett catalog in measuring tools...so I should have whatever I need to inspect the planetary section. It actually looks pretty simple. I have posted some excerpts from the Service Manual here, with some notes:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/599wvzhf9eloamu/AADGDHAZImbv1UL8bNW34Bida?dl=0

If I have the machine jacked up, with tracks and sprocket off...can I pull apart the planetary section with the motor on the machine? I dont want to crack open the hydraulic system if I dont have to. At this age, it seems like a no-brainer to change seals, O-rings, and inspect the main bearings and gear carrier bearings.

Slagathor

The only thing challenging I can see with regards to re-assembly is the bearing pre-load. The Service Manual does not say anything...but it is pretty clear that the thicknesses of the retaining rings #28 and #29, along with the spacer #17 must be properly set to get the right pre-load between the opposed angular contact bearings #18. Everything else is hammer mechanic level stuff.