• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Plan A: Cut tandem drive in half to convert to "pull grader"

rocknrabbit

I am planning to bring back to life my old 12 tonne Steelweld hydraulic (similar to Huber) by retaining the front end intact, and arranging the pull to be at about the centreline of where the tandem assembly lies. I would in effect be "blading backwards". I think this would be an easier conversion, more suited to my 110 hp Case and give the advantage of a ready made rear end steer and wheel lean.
I got the idea from a picture I thought had that design, but when I investigated further it was a conventional conversion. Anyone see any problems with this idea?

.RC.

I do not think there would not be enough weight on the front to do that. The front, which would now be the rear, would just crab sideways. I cannot see any advantage in pulling it backwards over pulling it forwards, only disadvantages.

rocknrabbit

Yeah fair enough.
However, I am not totally dissuaded yet! Asuming I added some appropriate ballast, what would be other difficulties you see in doing the conversion in this way?
I still see a big advantage in rear steer for windrow offsetting and maneuverability in tight spots etc. As well, engaging some near new teeth on the blade circle would be a bonus as well!