• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

piping a saw blade to a Hitachi

caterpillar028

Occupation
HGV mechanic and fleet repairs
have this job coming up to fit a saw blade to a ex 165 Hitachi just looking some information on fitting the machine has never had a rock beaker or similar fitted to need to know were to get my hydraulic feed from to power it also is it a kit that should be bought of the dealer or is it something i can make from getting parts from local hydraulics shop

thanks paul

GregD1

Occupation
Equipment for a paving contractor
Look at the left side of the control valve, the second spool back is the spare one you will use. There are a few hydraulic outfits that make them machine specific. I have installed them from HKX, Tramac, and a few others. The kit you should be able to use from Deere is as complete as they come. You will also need the fittings for the spool caps, port relief valves, hoses from the control valve to the end of the arm, the joystick or what ever you choose for the pilot circuit, a solenoid valve for the pilot oil to the spool cap.
They are not hard to install, but if you are not sure, you can get in over your head kind of quick.

caterpillar028

Occupation
gregd1 thanks for you taking time to respond

the valve block has a spare as you described

i have a few questions i would like some advise on

were do i get my pilot oil from (do i T into another pilot or is there a blanking bung on the spool)

do i put my pilot oil into the top of the block to get the output from the top blanking plate on the side of the block (4 Allen keys with a blanking plate)

where do i put my return i.e. is there another blanking plate or do i fit a t to the main return to the tank

thanks for taking the time to read this paul

GregD1

Occupation
If you only intend to have a single direction circuit as a saw would be then your pilot hose can go to the top fitting on the spool cap and your outlet port to the upper port on the on the side of the control valve to go to the boom and run down to the arm. On the return side out of your saw, it will run back to the machine and go directly to return to the tank. Make sure your return line doesn`t restrict flow. If you are using quick couplers to supply and return lines make sure they are capable of the flow through the implement you are running.
Pilot oil can be teed in as you said to the pilot circuit as long as you are on the delivery side of the pilot lock out valve, the safety handle on the left console in the cab. You don`t want the saw to be able to run if you push the safety lever down and accidently hit the saw function.
Should you ever be in a position to run a bi directional circuit as a thumb down the road somewhere you might want to consider a diverter valve that would mount at the base of the boom on the return side. That will allow you to choose either a single dirction flow as your saw would be or to change the valve direction and return flow to the bottom port on the main control valve. In that case you would have to also run a pilot circuit to the bottom of the control valve and you would have the option to run more than one attachment if you need it. Good luck. Like I said, it`s not hard but it can be confusing.

caterpillar028

Occupation
thanks for sharing some of your knowledge

the owner of the machine also has an old scrap tractor flail hedge cutter with a diverter valve that he wants fitted but its cable operated so no need for pilot oil

another question i meant to ask was do i need to fit a a pressure relief valve of any description in the circuit

also rough time scale for doing this job (for someone who knows what there at)

do you recommend getting steel piping for over the boom or flex hydraulic hose

i have phoned my local Hitachi dealers and they say they do not supply kits for piping a machine of this age

thanks very much paul

GregD1

Occupation
The diverter valve is just a 2 position ball valve that will allow return oil to either go straight to tank for a one direction circuit as your saw would be or in the other direction it would direct flow back to the other port at the manin control valve.
Circuit or port relief valves will need to be ordered from your local Deere/Hitachi dealer. They will go in the valve body next to the pilot cap.

I`m sure you could use a hose down to the end of the arm. I have never seen a kit that does. Obviously from main control valve to the boom will be hose and the arch over the boom is usually hose, the rest being pipe and firmly anchored. At the end of the boom it will go to hose to the arm and a pipe down the arm to the end by the bucket or where ever you need to connect to.
I have put them on in a day. I guess 2 days would be realistic with all the parts you need on the bench.

caterpillar028

Occupation
gregd1 first of thanks for all your help so far much appreciated

just another quick question

what size of piping would you recommend (3/4?)

do i need to fit some sort of valve to stop the motor turning into a pump and damaging its self or the machine when switched off

once again thanks for your help

PS is a port relief valve a dealer part only or can i get it from the local hydraulic suppliers

GregD1

Occupation
The pipe needs to have a diameter to not be a restriction. There are a number of sites that with the right math formula to determine their flow capacity but I would say at least 3/4. I do believe most kits use 1".
The flow to the attachment, just like any other function will stop movement when pilot oil is no longer present to move the spool. Yes the valves will be a dealer only item, either from Hitachi or Deere dealer.