• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pipe Laser Targets...

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
I'm aware that a lot of Pipe Crews use an in-the-pipe or invert laser, for us that's just not practical as our pipe is usually already sitting in water while laying. We use a target-on-a-stick so to speak, it has an inverted "V" as the foot to center on the pipe crown and a telescopic "stick" with a hood on top that has an angled mirror so to reflect downwards the crosshairs. With an in-pipe laser there wouldn't seem to be much issue regarding keeping the target plumb and level, with our approach however it's usually duct taping a torpedo level to the stick. The inherent problem with this setup is we generally only tape the torpedo to one axis that being side-to-side, now I know that keeping the pipe running straight -to minimize deflection- is important but surely the front-to-back axis is as important if not more, you know maintaining slope and all. I have yet to witness sewage flowing up hill therefore it is equally important to have the target plumb on both axes.

Being one who finds a problem in need of a solution and quick -too quick at times- to devise/design said remedy have realized that a bullseye type bubble level inside the target hood also reflecting downwards would appear the simple fix. Using the same principal employed to level the mounting plate on an Instrument only in this application we're looking up to confirm "plumbage" not straight ahead. Sure, there could be trouble viewing the ring and bubble in low light conditions but there are solutions for that as well, one being the self-luminous fiber optics used on hunting bows another being the use of tritium backlighting as used in weapons sights.

So before I go about designing such a target, has anyone seen, heard of or used such an animal?

Last edited:

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Heavy,

Awesome, thanks Brother you just saved me many headaches. Much appreciated! $20.99 plus $7.25 S&H, SOLD! Hmm, I hope they're not in NY, NJ or other paths of Sandy, that could hold up shipping and once seen, can't wait to have and hold. Thanks again... :D

http://www.engineersupply.com/Seco-Rod-Level-5001-10.aspx

bubble level thing used to plumb grade rods, you just hold on the rod and it will show plumb in all direction.

We have also used them above ground, when they first came out, we used green plexiglass for targets. but we also eyeballed plumb.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Yeah,

I remember those old plexiglass targets, used to be supplied with Spectra Physics Lasers, you dropped 'em a few times and found yourselves targetless.

http://www.engineersupply.com/Seco-Rod-Level-5001-10.aspx

bubble level thing used to plumb grade rods, you just hold on the rod and it will show plumb in all direction.

We have also used them above ground, when they first came out, we used green plexiglass for targets. but we also eyeballed plumb.