• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pins for Quick Attach

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I'm appalled at the so called locking arrangement for the removeable pin on our Kubota excavator quick hitch. Its a bolt with a nyloc nut...sorry don't have a pic......but whats quick about that. I have been looking around for a suitable lynch pin/drop nose pin etc or the like but most are too light duty and last about 5 minutes...maybe the nut and bolt aren't such a bad idea... :rolleyes: or are they just keeping us in the dark down here :spaz

So what do you northern hemisphere guys use on your excavator hitches??. There has to be something a bit....quicker :eek2

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Our Q/C is a pin grabber, essentially. It's hard to explain how it works, but there's 2 big pins on the bucket, all you gotta do is get the top one notched into the slot on the Q/C and curl the bucket in and snap, she's on. Taking it off is pretty quick, you have to muscle it a little bit though. To take it off, set bucket flat, pull a spring loaded pin on the back of Q/C and lift up on the front of the bucket and she pops right out. I'm really a fan of hydraulic Q/C's, Cat has a nice one that all of their rental machines up here are equipped with. It's a wedge-lock hydraulic coupler, so it doesn't rob any breakout force and it's really quick. Switching from a bucket to a breaker is pretty fast, I can almost do it in the time that it would take me to change attachments on the skid steer, that is if the hydraulic lines don't give me any hassle.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Ours has the two pins, probably about 2" in diameter. You curl the hitch into the front pin then, when aligned, you push the second pin in by hand and install the locking clip/pin/bolt. Takes about 5 mins to change to the breaker on your own and if everything is clean. I just think the locking arrangement is half arsed. I take a pic today and post it.

xkvator

i think the only thing that would be as durable as the bolt would be a cotter pin.
you could machine a groove for a snap ring.

xkvator

Too much excess pin sticking out IMO...especially if that's a narrow bucket...the pin would be digging into the trench sidewall.
I'd machine a snap ring groove - like Case uses - and cut off exess pin.
I've also welded a snap ring protector on narrow buckets...just a 1/4" long piece of 2 1/2 - 3" pipe.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Yes that is the 12" trenching bucket and yes there is too much pin. That pin is for our demolition bucket which has a boss welded to the cheek plate and is drilled for the pin to align so it is protected. However, I am looking for something quicker than the bolt and nut. Not sure what the Case has, will keep an eye out. Do you have any pic's...anybody?

Nac

Occupation
Construction
What you need is a lynch pin it is a pin with a snaping circle that what I have on my hammer mount and never had a problem.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Here is a pic.

Attachments

• pin.jpg
    pin.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 905

xkvator

here's the snap ring...least amount of pin sticking out

Attachments

• IM000676.JPG
    IM000676.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 892

xkvator

the lynch pin is ok if it's not actually in contact with the dirt

Attachments

• IM000678.JPG
    IM000678.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 895

xkvator

cotter pins are better than bolt/nuts IMO

Attachments

• IM000680.JPG
    IM000680.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 885

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
xkvator said:
the lynch pin is ok if it's not actually in contact with the dirt

Thanks for the pic's. Yes I have tried the lynch pins and they just don't last long. The cotter pin is OK but I'm looking for something that is inherently locked. Anyway, I'll keep looking. Thanks again, much appreciated.

d4c24a

lynch pin

i use jcb lynch pins as they snap onto their selfs with a groove and do not come apart easily i will take a pic tomorrow if i remember :)

d4c24a

lynch pins

here are some pictures of the locking lynch pin ,these do not come apart easily unlike other types

Attachments

• 100_0017.JPG
    100_0017.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 315
  • 100_0018.JPG
    100_0018.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 305
  • 100_0019.JPG
    100_0019.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 302