• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pins by dimensions

Welder Dave

Thanks guys.
I picked up some cold rolled 1" stuff today. Now I have to figure out how to drill it for the keepers. My cheapo HF drill bits probably aren't going to be up to the task.

Mild steel isn't the best for pins. 1045 is common. Mild steel might bend and will wear fast. Obviously 1" isn't large enough if the old pin broke. What shape are the bushings in?

Clawed Backster

Mild steel isn't the best for pins. 1045 is common. Mild steel might bend and will wear fast. Obviously 1" isn't large enough if the old pin broke. What shape are the bushings in?
While I agree that 1" seems really small for this application, it is what the machine had when I got it. It appears that nothing on the machine has been greased for YEARS, and it is amazing to me that all of the pins and bushings in the loader and the hoe are in pretty good shape. I will be checking out the stabilizers and pads much more closely tomorrow.

Clawed Backster

I will post some pictures of the project tomorrow.
My plan is to get a couple of decent 3/8ths cobalt drill bits to put some keeper bolts in the home made pins.

Tinkerer

Wouldn't the cylinder rod eye dimension dictate what diameter pin you have to use ? 1 inch seems small for a stabilizer. Unless someone put an odd size bushing in the rod.:eek:
I sometimes just tack weld a bolt cross-ways on the end of pins.

Clawed Backster

Mighty crude, but for a hillbilly farm hoe, I think it will work.
It looks like the former owner ran it for a long time with a broken pin, hogging out the arm pretty badly.
These custom feet were made with WAAAAAY too much side clearance, putting a lot of extra stress on the pins. 20191026_083500.jpg 20191026_085445.jpg 20191026_085500.jpg

Tinkerer

Oops ! I should have said the stabilizer arm eye.
The wear on those pad eyes are normal for a high hour machine. The end of the stabilizer can be repaired with some heavy wall 1 inch id pipe. I have done it on the inner ends of my own bh. The pipe can be cut long enough to meet the pad eyes.
I drilled the pipe in the center and threaded the hole for a grease zerk.
I can post a link to the pipe source if you want it.

Clawed Backster

Oops ! I should have said the stabilizer arm eye.
The wear on those pad eyes are normal for a high hour machine. The end of the stabilizer can be repaired with some heavy wall 1 inch id pipe. I have done it on the inner ends of my own bh. The pipe can be cut long enough to meet the pad eyes.
I drilled the pipe in the center and threaded the hole for a grease zerk.
I can post a link to the pipe source if you want it.
Thanks for the tips.
For now, I am just going to see how it holds up like it is. I bought a couple more pieces of that 1 inch stuff, so if I have to redo it I will have the material.