• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pin wont take grease

BLconst

The bottom pin on boom wont take grease. I tried to take out and it won't budge. Any ideas? How much heat and how big of sledge is too much?

Attachments

• pin.jpg
    pin.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,782
Last edited:

grandpa

I have a 4 ton portapower rigged up to screw into the grease zerck threads, if ya got one give it a try, lots of times the 4 tons will force the grease and grime out of the pin and save a whole bunch of work.... on the other hand, the hammer will have to be as big as need be to get the job done...lol good luck.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I keep a squirt can of engine oil in my toolbox for situations like this.Squirt the pin a couple times a day,drench it pretty good and in a day or two it will take grease.I have done this many times.Ron G

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
take the pressure off the cylinder either unhook the rod end or support with another machine or hoist. then hit it square and be care full not to mushroom the head of the pin. i personally would try everything else before you get to beating on it though.

lectro88

Occupation
master electrician/owner
What has worked for me.
I had that problem with side boom pivit on mine when I got it. I removed as much gook as I could with a tiny screw driver from behind grease fitting. A little seems to help alot. That stuff is like concrete. I know it sounds trivial, but it seems to always work, also you can hold grease pressure at fitting and have someone else full cycle, I try to not to use a hammer.

lectro88

Occupation
master electrician/owner
Also make sure your not fighting 2 battles at the same time. A stuck or froze up fitting and compacted gunk.

razvy

I usually try this : I remove the fitting , clean behind whit a pick screwdriver ( blow air )and squirt few times brake cleaner ,in between move the joint few times , re screw the fitting and try , make sure the fitting it's ok you ca try it before screwing back.. if not remove the pin:rolleyes:

Ryanrb25

May seem completely stupid, but food for thought...I had a simular problem, wouldn't take grease, cleaned behind the grease nipple, soaked in CRC etc...nearly got to the point where i was going to start pulling everything apart and it ended up being the grease nipple itself.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Yep, step one is test the nipple.

I have a neat little tool you fill with oil, place onto the nipple, and pound it with a hammer. It drives the the oil into the nipple with considerable force.

It works maybe 50% of the time. Plus its really satisfying because it avoids pulling everything apart and you get to use a hammer! (which is what you really want to do anyway :)

razvy

All the above ideas my work but you can get a partial grease on the pin or just one side, the 100% fix is removing the pin + nipple, clean and reinstall and grease it.

Ryanrb25

When the grease groove in the bush is worn down or the pin wears the same shape as the grease groove then that can prevent grease being able to enter. But you'd know because there would be a fair **** load of play in the pin.

cumminswillie

Out of desperation because my porta power quit on me one day i made a hydraulic line and attached it to an oxygen tank. I filled the line with oil and opened op the tank. Moved the boom for about 5 minutes before the ait froced the oil through and told the operator to overgrease until it took grease everywhere. Only tried it once but, it worked.

Lee-online

I just fixed a pin today that didn't take grease. Tried to grease it with the power greaser but no go. Then i tried the grease gun we fill with solvent. No go, but after soaking for a while it started to ooze through but not enough. Then i tried the porta press and it flushed the debris right through.

Underdog

Out of desperation because my porta power quit on me one day i made a hydraulic line and attached it to an oxygen tank. I filled the line with oil and opened op the tank. Moved the boom for about 5 minutes before the ait froced the oil through and told the operator to overgrease until it took grease everywhere. Only tried it once but, it worked.

Mixing oil and oxygen under pressure was always a no no. Chance of explosion they say. Just what I heard.

maddog

I keep a squirt can of engine oil in my toolbox for situations like this.Squirt the pin a couple times a day,drench it pretty good and in a day or two it will take grease.I have done this many times.Ron G

I'll 2nd this

BLconst

zerk is out, its full of dirt, gonna fire up steam cleaner with 0 tip to flush dirt out. well see.

cumminswillie

I agree if a guy was desperate enough he should probably use carbon dioxide instead of oxygen but, thats all i had on the truck at the time.

razvy

I had a bad one today , I use the plumber torch to heat the nipple, wile was hot I got the gun and put pressure on it , ...worked :beatsme I know ..spring got F up , I don't care as log I got hear greased .

packratc

New member here. Trying to get in my three "tune up" posts. Have to comment that little threads like this are invaluable for all gearheads that are busting their knuckles on every variety of projects. Thanks for these. Packratc