• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pin Position

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
I was wondering what pin position do you use on your hydraulic detachable trailers. We have a loadking HDD-503 and we use the 38" postion and usually don't haul more than 110,000 and have never had an issue with scaling the weight. Who uses the 16" position and why.... I don't we can turn a little sharper with the 38" position. Thanks Bill

muzy

I found I would use diff. pin depth when using a tandem jeep. Other than that it is nice too keep things shorter for turning. muzy

Will Musser

Occupation
Heavyhauler/ Truckbuilder
The forward pin position is for using a 4 axle truck or a truck with a long 5thwheel slider. It gives a longer neck on the trailer to let you put the weight farther forward on the truck and thus make better use of the heavy frontend, and to not loose too much weight on the steer axle when the lift axle is down. Essentially helps you adjust where your center of gravity is on the truck.

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
Thanks Muzy & Will Musser for the information, I don't any experience with 4 axle trailers. This makes a lot of sense I had always assumed it was for pushing the weight forward I was just wondered. Thanks Bill

rigandig

Another use would be to shift weight to the back if you found yourself loaded heavy on the front/drives, no crane available, and the load was not mobile/powered (as in a crated piece) But generally they are for longer sliding 5th wheels found on 4 axle tractors or jeep usage.