• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pin Grabber

Deereboy

Anyone know what is available in Canada as far as Pin Grabbers for smaller excavators? I have a New Holland EC130. 60mm pins, and about 9- 3/4'' between the bucket bushings.I would like something that i could reverse the bucket for ditching.Someone down here told me there is a modle that is powered by the bucket cylinder hydraulics by way of a cab switch.Anyone knowing of something used would by appreciated. I am using a bucket from a PC120 now which was close in measurement. Thank God for Ritchies Auctions.

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
What's a pin Grabber? Do you mean quick disconnect?

Answered my own question.

Check with PSM, Maltby WA.
http://www.psmcorp.com/products/couplers.cfm

We have two of their Rock Grapples and I have a friend who runs their "Pin Grabber". They sell a lot in Canada.

Last edited:
I can help you with your coupler if you want to contact me.

Fred Howell (407)-831-6688

If you want the coupler to pick up another machines attachments you will more than likely need a custom built coupler.

There are a few on the market that can pick up a variety of pin sizes and spreads, but they don't work very well and they mess up the curl angle of your bucket. You can hit the stick or boom and sometimes even put the bucket through the window of the cab if you not careful.

Give me a call or write me back and I can help you.

Deereboy

Thanks to all you for the info.I am just tired of beating on pins everytime i need to change. That has been a time of two every day .Just want to make a good decision the first time, and i want the option to turn them around.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
QH safety
Have a read of this while you are at it. It may help.

Construction Skills

There is lots of stuff here on this site some of it may be of benefit.

Last edited:

xcavator120

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Thanks to all you for the info.I am just tired of beating on pins everytime i need to change. That has been a time of two every day .Just want to make a good decision the first time, and i want the option to turn them around.

Yep, know what you mean. Most of the equipment we run has quick couplings. We do have one hoe that we have to beat out the pins. To make it a little less painful, we try to keep these greased up, I mean really greased up. So when you're whacking away, they might slide a little easier. I've even noticed on our Cat 345, that has a quick couple, it doesn't always work as it should. Sometimes we need to beat on the pins to get it to release..

coopers

PSM and CWS both have good pin grabber buckets. Both make very good products. This 120 I used two weeks ago had a mix of both companies.

Attachments

• IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 778

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
....... I mean really greased up. So when you're whacking away, they might slide a little easier.

If they are really greased well and you hang the bucket rather than putting it on the ground you will be able to push them out by hand.

Nobody should be beating excavator bucket pins with any size of hammer be it a club or sledge.

This works for ANY size excavator be it a 1ton mini or a 385 the only difference is the weight of the pins and the height of the lugs above the ground.

With no bucket on the machine place the dipper between the front lugs of the bucket and insert a steel pin SMALLER than the bucket pin. A bigger machine will need a bigger bar due to the bucket weight.
Pick the bucket off the ground slightly.

bucket 002.jpg

Now crowd the bucket ram until the rear link is in line. As the bucket is hanging it can be rocked ever so slightly to get exact alignment for the rear pin. Insert rear pin.

bucket 003.jpg

Now open the bucket ( close the ram ) and move the dipper out until the weight of the bucket is hanging on the rear link and the front bar is free.
Remove the bar.
As the bucket is now hanging it can easily be moved by hand to get final alignment of the pin.

bucket 005.jpg

Removal is simply reverse the operation.

The hard part first time is finding just where the balance point is. It might be handy to test lift a bucket on each of its lugs to see just how it hangs.

Common sense dictates that a SUITABLE sized bar MUST be used relative to the size of machine and weight of bucket.
DONT try and pick a 20t machine size bucket up on a wooden broom handle :Banghead

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
I've got a brand new pin grabber for my 315 that I never put on, I dont like the loss of roll power and increased tip radius. also it adds ~500+lb's. and Yeah we oncasionally change bucket's just like Rob.

But....(there's always a butt, lol) If Ichanged anywhere near as often as you do I would have one in a heartbeat :nod: I wonder if anyone makes a mechanical one since your not plumbed.

Pj

Deereboy

Craig is in Hartland a few hours away.But the price is higher than i can justify.Thats why i was looking for something used, from maybe a burned unit.I just contacted a local fabricator/welder and he is looking at making something up that will grab the boom pin and once you roll the attach in you could put a pin in the the linkage. I do have hydraulics or could used elect/hydraulic pack. I tried Atlas Rob's technique and it work alright for buckets, but my mulcher sticks out so all the weight is end heavy.I'm glad i started this post as you guys have good info. And Thanks

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Thats why i was looking for something used, from maybe a burned unit.I just contacted a local fabricator/welder and he is looking at making something up that will grab the boom pin and once you roll the attach in you could put a pin in the the linkage.

It might be worth a browse of this thread when you have a few minutes.

I would be very careful about having one " knocked up " if you get my drift.
No offence to the fabricator intended. :drinkup

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=6107&highlight=makes+quick