• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pictures of HEO Girl's School Pit/Equipment

HEO Girl

Here, there, and everywhere in Maine and beyond
Occupation
Fence & Guardrail Installation
Shop Time Has Begun

Wow Dirt Farmer I didn't even notice you posted here! That's so cool that you went to the same school! The WA300 has a hole in the turbo so that could be one of the reasons. It is with Kevins HEM class (he took over for Butch) gettin fixed up.

Well since the snow has set in we have been in the shop since the beginning of this second semester. The class at this time splits into 2 parts. Kids taking Heavy Equipment Maintenance (HEM) and the kids taking Heavy Equipment Operations (HEO). I am taking the operations part of it.

The Maintenance kids fix all the hard stuff and us Operations kids do little things (we split the equipment for the most part) like change filters, hoses, oil, ect. Along with fixing things at this time we are learning grades and later on in the semester will be learning forklift and crane theory (heavy heavy learning on the rigging, my teacher says there isn't anyone worse then someone who can't rig a crane right).

We do get to plow a little bit with the loaders around the school, mostly in front of our own shop. We did however get to go out today and tomorrow and plow a parking lot out for the fishing derby coming up here.

I will post long overdue pictures now:)
1109001316.jpg
Compliments of our teacher Jim.

1022001157.jpg
Came out of the PC150.

1104001440a.jpg
Whoopsies. Poor grader.

1021001101.jpg
Clutch rod on the Brigadier snapped in half but we got it fixed.

1130000657.jpg
Falling off the lowboy, at least we didn't pop a track that time.

HEO Girl

Occupation
1123000927.jpg
However the first time it fell off we did knock it off. Took us awhile to get it back on too.

1130000925.jpg
Trying to get the Kodiak started so the HEM kids could bring it in the shop and get it fixed for good. We tried the booster pack and it was a no go then we tried both the booster and the WA300 and it was still a no go... so we decided we was going to bring out the big guns. It started right up.

1022001054a.jpg
Sargent Corp. brought their simulator for the WITT (Women in Technical Trades) day at the school. Me and the other girl in my class went down to help out and talk to the high school girls about Heavy Equipment. The guy on the simulator is the HEM teacher Kevin and the kid behind him is John, he's in my HEO class.

1020001115.jpg
Need to know air brakes?

0930000610.jpg
Cool picture of the Western Star I took in the wee mornin hours.

HEO Girl

Occupation
The pit has changed quite a bit since the beginning of first semester. (see first page to see what it looked like first semester)
1116001040a.jpg
That pile of bank run in the middle is completely gone.

1116001040.jpg
Our 3" stone pile has gone from nothing to huge.

1116001039a.jpg
That other bank run pile off to the left right behind the fine grade pile is all gone also. The fine grade pile don't really look any different because we were hauling out just as much as we were making.

1116001036a.jpg
Mock culvert we did.

HEO Girl

Occupation
Last Week

Well this week is officially the last week of school! We are supposed to be out ditching town roads right now but something came up.... Anyways, we made the best of the sudden change in plans and went back to the pit. It was hard getting the track equipment back out there because the roads were posted but they eventually made it out.

Here are some recent pictures I have taken.
Skidder.jpg
Went home with my room mate and got to run the skidder for abit. Was awesome! However, pulling cable... not so awesome. Hanging off the back of the damn cable like a monkey and it still wasn't spooling out all that great. Guess I need more muscle :rolleyes:.

Jims Pick Up.jpg
Our teacher trusted ME with HIS pickup... Silly, silly man. He was bringing the backhoes out to the pit (roads were posted so he drove them) and I was following behind him. Was a nice truck.

Ether and Generator.jpg
So we couldn't get this itty bitty generator started... we got fed up... we fixed the problem.

Last edited:

HEO Girl

Occupation
Old 966.jpg
Finally got the 966 running. Sat in the pit all winter was tough to start (batteries were ran flat). I wanted to take the batteries back to the shop to charge them up for the night so when we brought them back they'd be all ready with plenty of juice to get it going. But no, instead we spent 2 days frigging around with the booster pack trying with failure. But that's ok... because eventually we got it done.

WA200 Screening.jpg
Doing some screening with the WA300.

Screening with the 200.jpg
Actually got some time in the WA200. Was pretty exciting.

Grading Moosehorn.jpg
"Supervising" The other kids that wanted to try the grader. I know, shocker, someone actually wanted to try it! Even if it was only 1! It's a start!

Pit (End of School).jpg
Pit was pretty lonely today, not many people around.

HEO Girl

Occupation
416 Hyd Hose.jpg
Busted a hydraulic hose. Oops.

Big Puddle.jpg
The pit collects quite a bit of water so we decided to build a drainage area for the water to go.

Making of the Drainage area.jpg
Working on the drainage area.

PC150 Loading Brigadier.jpg
Got the PC150 all fixed up... sorta.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
You still got snow in the woods there?Ron G

HEO Girl

Occupation
Possibly in some spots. I ain't really been in the woods though. I know the roads are wicked soft out on the Moosehorn and last I knew a couple weeks ago in some spots there was a lot of snow. They almost rolled one of their dump trucks, sunk bad.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
That first pic off of the skidder looks like snow on the ground.I assumed that it was a recent picture.Ron G

danregan

Occupation
Contractor
that chevy 10wheeler. Im going to guess its 1987. Does that have little Cat 3208- 250hp, a strangely bent shifter with a chrome shift knob? I bet thats the sister truck to the one i grew up driving. we bought ours from a guy in NH, who said the other truck had gone to maine. this was in like 1991.

akroadrunner

Occupation
Gravel Pit/ Trucking/Owner
HEO GIRL, You be very careful boosting that equipment. ALWAYS wear safety glasses. It gets ugly real fast when a battery explodes. A friend of mine lost an eye recently and was almost completely blinded. Looks like you are learning well in school. You can operate my Volvo and screen out some material with my Finlay screening plant when you get to Alaska. No worn out stuff here.

HEO Girl

Occupation
That first pic off of the skidder looks like snow on the ground.I assumed that it was a recent picture.Ron G
You are correct it is snow. That picture was taken many weeks ago.

that chevy 10wheeler. Im going to guess its 1987. Does that have little Cat 3208- 250hp, a strangely bent shifter with a chrome shift knob? I bet thats the sister truck to the one i grew up driving. we bought ours from a guy in NH, who said the other truck had gone to maine. this was in like 1991.
It's a 78' with a 290 cummins in it. My teacher tells me it was an old road tractor that they lengthened the frame on and put a dump body on it. It does have a funky bent shifter though, no chrome however.
IMG_0450.JPG

HEO GIRL, You be very careful boosting that equipment. ALWAYS wear safety glasses. It gets ugly real fast when a battery explodes. A friend of mine lost an eye recently and was almost completely blinded. Looks like you are learning well in school. You can operate my Volvo and screen out some material with my Finlay screening plant when you get to Alaska. No worn out stuff here.
We always wear safety glasses. Not allowed anywhere without a pair. The old 966's governor is messed up. If you could make it go full throttle it would beat both the WA200 and WA300. That thing is beast. I don't mind the old equipment. They have character and if they could talk I bet they'd have lots of stories to tell.

IMG_0451.jpg
Today I had to bring the grader back from the Moosehorn. The people that worked there said the road was rough with trees fallen and big washouts but it was passable. Yeah.... passable. Some of those washouts were a little hairy to cross for sure. Let's see, do I want to roll down the hill on this side... orrr roll down the hill on that side... But we made it!

Hendrik

Always connect positive to positive BEFORE negative to negative unless it is an old English positive earth system.

HEO Girl

Occupation
The End

Well it's all over. Got my certificate, walked at graduation, said goodbye to all my friends and teachers. I'm not gunna miss Calais but I sure am gunna miss all the people I met and the friends I made.

img0024to.jpg
Me and the guy who put up with my crap all year, Jim! I'm really going to miss him. He was an amazing teacher. Took me sweet talking him for a week to allow me to get a picture with him!

me n vanessa.jpg
Me and one of my apartment mates Vanessa. Taken a few hours before graduation.
We are holding our awards we got in our majors. She was in Maintenance and I was in Operations, we both got the Presidents Award for Excellence. Beat all them boys for the highest award in each of our majors ;)

Goin out with my boots on.jpg
Goin out with my boots on!
We wanted to bring our hardhats with us and wear them up to get our certificate. We got caught with them and they said no way :rolleyes:. Always ruining our fun.

For those of you who thought I couldn't do it, figured I was just another one of them annoying kids here to terrorize the forum, didn't have the heart... well I guess you are kinda right on some parts... But I got this to say, I will be a heavy equipment operator someday and I'll be damned if anyone tells me otherwise. But I am still here to terrorize the forum :D. Sorry Steve, looks like your stuck with me :tong

Now onto the next chapter in my life "A Real Job!"

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Nice going,congratulations to you.Keep in touch and the best of luck.Ron G