• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

picture of my free loader

Justin

Occupation
owner operator
I just took pictures today and wanted to post some pictures

Attachments

• IMG_3779.jpg
    IMG_3779.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,218
  • IMG_3780.jpg
    IMG_3780.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,199

alco

I like those old girls.

On another note, I'd post pics of my freeloader, but somehow I think the mods would frown on pics of my sister in law on here. Thankfully, she has moved out of our house and isn't freeloading off us anymore...lol.

Justin

Occupation
owner operator
I thought of it to late I should of put freeloader in "quotations" I am glad to see a sense of humor.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Nice old machine.How do you keep the glass so clean?Ron G

Justin

Occupation
owner operator
It is rear wheel steering, and it is real easy keeping the glass so clean when there is not very much to clean it needs a front and some side windows, and at least one front tire. the engine runs ok but it has been started with either to much it hqas a chatter to her. And I was surpirsed it has a positive ground system, and only 12 volts not 24.

Justin

Occupation
owner operator
I dont know about the extension on the rear it was a log loader so it dont know if it did not have a bigger counter wieght on it, and what is intailed on chaging to a regular volt system?

Komatsu 150

I dont know about the extension on the rear it was a log loader so it dont know if it did not have a bigger counter wieght on it, and what is intailed on chaging to a regular volt system?

Pretty simple. Disconnect the battery cables, then install a modern neg. ground alternator, then reconnect cables with battery polarity reversed. Both our 1957 machines were positive ground, the smaller one was 12 volt and the larger was 24 volt. On The 12 volt I used a very cheap GM car alternator. The 24 volt I bought a one wire 24 volt alternator designed for machines. The one wire alt. only required one wire moved, the 12 volt needed some different wiring. No other changes needed, starter and all gauges work fine, even the fuel gauge. You can even do it with the original generator, you would need a new regulator and have to "repolarize" the generator, but the original systems are very weak 30 amps on the 12 volt, 20 amps on the 24 volt. They did have a real reason for using positive ground, valid or not. I changed over in the 80's and even then positive ground parts were pricey and hard to find and of course accessories and radios were tough to run. My biggest reason though was the weak systems would not keep the batteries charged overnight with heater and lights going.

Justin

Occupation
owner operator
That sounds pretty easy to do I think I will try that because the charging system has been disconnected anyways, I really appreciate the info and will probably go find a alternator and put it on. I recently chanded a 8N tractor from 6 Volts to 12 volts so I would guess the wiring would be around the same for any changes. Again thanks alot

Cat is ALL

I heard those old rear steering loaders were really touchy, you had to be careful so they didn't roll on you.

Justin

Occupation
owner operator
I have not hardly got to run it so I will have to find out, but I will be carefull to not get on uneveen ground, I imagine that would be a bad end to an old loader,