• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pics - Our 1950's D6 Cable Pull

richardbrackin

I remember riding on this machine and ultimately running it when I was about 17 or 18 on up till I was nearly 30. The hood is off right now. Our mechanic is fixing it up. The dozer runs fine. The mechanic's re-doing some wiring.

I took these pics today, as a matter of fact -- just for you all here.

Pic Below - General shot showing blade and pulley, engine, seat, tracks.
show.php

Pic Below - Closeup shot of pulley. The blade control was up, down. if you wanted any other adjustments you had to get off and manually position it.
show.php

Pic below - closeup of control sticks. First lever on left is the clutch engage/disengage. Next are the control sticks. The vertical control is the blade control - tensions and loosens the pulley. The far one is forward and reverse. I may have the clutch and forward/reverse switched. It's been a while since I drove it last. One more lever you can't see on the other side of the air cleaner is the throttle.
show.php

Pic below -- these two highlighted levers are the -- ummm --- the 'keys'.
The way you start this is you wrap some nylon cord around the 'starting motor'. Basically you wrap it around as if you were to crank an old lawn mower. Then you pull as hard as you can while you jump off the side of the dozer. After 4 or 5 tries it finally cranks. THEN you very very carefully put both hands on the levers and push hard so the engine catches them and then they fly forward. If you don't pull your hands away quick enough it will break them. I wonder how many people were hurt cranking these things back in the day.
show.php

Pic below -- This is the other side of the control station showing the throttle better. It also shows the cable control bar a little better.
It was a BEAR to run.
I had to wrap my right arm around the blade lifting lever and keep constant pressure or the blade would sink into the ground. To passersby, my arm position looked as if I was cupping my hand up to my ear to help me hear something quiet (if that makes any sense). The lever would be resting in the crease of my arm -- in 100 degree weather for 13 hours a day.
show.php

Well, there she is.
My dad told me that his uncle bought it new.
My dad's uncle (my grand dad's brother) worked on Hoover Dam construction as a dozer driver.
My dad told me he ran a D6 back and forth along the FACE of the dam.
He was connected to a larger dozer by a 1 inch cable. He was paid handsomely. :)

I hope it's not too many pics.
I still haven't figured how to get thumbnails to show inline.
Maybe and old Cat like this will bring up some neat memories for some of you.

Last edited:

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Thank you for your post and pics.You will get a lot of laughs regarding your "starting procedure".:)
I can see that the dozer had an electric start set up on the starter motor at one time because the base for a battery is in view there.A small amount of "routine maintainance" would make a world of difference in your affection for that dozer.Thanks again for the great pics!! Ron G:yup

rino1494

That is awesome that is still runs and that you guys are taking care of it instead of letting it rot in a field somewhere.

richardbrackin

RonG said:
...the base for a battery is in view there.

I'm glad you like the pics. :)

Yes.
It probably would have saved a lot of hard work (and time) starting up.
I don't remember the reason we always had to end up cranking it manually. It's been that way for at least 30 years.
I know one reason is people around here have always had an eye for a nice free battery.

The dozer was in much better condition about 15 years ago when it was in regular use and stored in a shed.
We're not going to buy the JD650G LGP we've been renting so I may actually run this dozer in about a month or so on some brush clearing work that needs to be done.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
We have an old cable D6 with a pup motor for starting on our ranch in TX that's what I learned on and how I got my nickname Dozerboy.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Those batteries were 6 volt which is not very popular these days but the people who steal them might not know that until it is too late.Some people had a 7.5 volt battery constructed that would spin the starter motor a little faster,the custom battery shops will make whatever you want.
Try to learn the proper sequence to get the big motor spinning.In no case should you engage both levers at the same time.One lever will be a clutch handle and the other one will be the transmission lever.
With the clutch fully disengaged you put the transmission in gear and then slowly engage the clutch lever.If the clutch is adjusted right it will go over center and you can take your hand off of it so you can deal with the compression release lever after the oil pressure comes up.Once the compression lever is at full compression you can add fuel to get the diesel engine running.Once the big engine fires it will disengage the starter motor clutch automatically.Turn off the fuel to the pony motor and let it run out of gas to shut it off,don't just turn the mag switch off as the carburator will flood and could give you problems in case you stall the dozer and need to start it right away again.
The cable control unit (CCU) needs some help,if the brake band is not worn down too far you should be able to adjust everything so the blade will stay up in the air without you having to hold onto the lever,again..routine maintainance.That dozer has a lot of life left in it I am sure,it just needs a little love.:wink2

richardbrackin

RonG said:
With the clutch fully disengaged you put the transmission in gear and then slowly engage the clutch lever.If the clutch is adjusted right it will go over center and you can take your hand off of it so you can deal with the compression release lever after the oil pressure comes up.

Thank you for the info.

It's been quite a while since I personally cranked it so I probably mixed up my words in the initial post -- sorry if I caused confusion. I've always been a little jumpy when I crank this dozer up.

The problem for me is my hands and fingers are big.
The clearance between the lever and the engine is such that if I didn't have lightning reflexes, I could risk getting fingers caught and smashed between the lever and engine as it engaged.

As I recall, when I began to engage the clutch lever, it took a good deal of force so I had to grip it rather tightly. Then, as I pulled it, the engine would catch it and just throw it on down with unstoppable force.
Would that be a signal that the clutch lever needs adjustment? Should the clutch lever actually engage with less force and speed, providing safer starting?

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Since I cannot be there to watch you my guess is that you have the sequence of events out of order there in the starting routine.If you had the throttle advanced enough to feed fuel to the engine AND the compression lever in the full compression position then the engine would start immediately once it started turning over and it WOULD kick the levers out of your hands.
Get the big engine spinning first with the decompression lever in the first position.Watch for oil pressure on the big engine,if you are not in a real cold climate you don't really have to deal with the center position of the compression lever which is a good way to build heat in the big engine by loading the pony motor and circulating the warm coolant it generates.Once you have oil pressure and the compression lever is in the full compression position you advance the throttle to the diesel enough for it to fire and run on its own.Once it fires and increases speed over the pony motor it will kick the clutch lever to the disengaged position,hopefully you won't need to be holding it when that happens.If you need to hold it then it needs adjustment although there are many that don't get adjusted when they need it and you get used to moving your hands quickly when the time is right.Just think through what has to happen in the order I posted and soon it will be second nature to you.You can brag to your peers that you know something that they don't..........LOL.Meanwhile us old guys who have been spoiled with all this new technology will keep on smiling.Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine a dozer with a cab and A/C.This new generation will not work without it!!!Ron G:laugh

richardbrackin

Thank you for that information.
It sounds like I have the sequence wrong, then. :Banghead

I've printed your explanation so I have a hard copy of it. :thumbsup

<---- no cab or air conditioner (but I certainly wouldn't mind one to keep mosquitos out).

Last edited: