• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pics of my ride

770G

My daughter Shelby came for a ice bladin tour

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331250097.984011.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331250097.984011.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 3,117

770G

Couple more :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331250173.026963.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331250173.026963.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 3,138
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331250185.380514.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331250185.380514.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 3,145

bruce michael

Occupation
Plant Operator/Truck Driver
Good time to change blades too. No more hands and knees, I change blades standing up.

I do too, but when you look at a Cat operator's manual for a H or M series...they still infer to place "wooden chocks" on the ground to rest the lip of the mouldbord on with the "worn" cutting edges standing proud to change the edges????

Grader4me

I remember one time years ago I was going to change blades, so I flipped the blade up on its side and proceded to take the bolts out. I just touched the first nut with the air wrench and down it come. No damage as it hit agains't the tire, but had there been a person standing there holding the bolts in for me it wouldn't have been pretty. The center locking pin wasn't in all the way and I never noticed it. Past practice when I had someone helping me they would always stand on the inside to hold the bolts in while I air wrenched them off.

After that scare I always rechecked the locking pin and never, never would I let anyone stand on the inside of the blade. I would get the helper to stand beside me with his arm reaching under the blade to hold the bolts.

My point here is that it might be to err on the side of safety would be the reason the manual suggests on the ground procedure? :beatsme

On edit...Nice machine 770G

Last edited:

michael james

Occupation
36 years working for a council, last 12 as a grade
I remember one time years ago I was going to change blades, so I flipped the blade up on its side and proceded to take the bolts out. I just touched the first nut with the air wrench and down it come. No damage as it hit agains't the tire, but had there been a person standing there holding the bolts in for me it wouldn't have been pretty. The center locking pin wasn't in all the way and I never noticed it. Past practice when I had someone helping me they would always stand on the inside to hold the bolts in while I air wrenched them off.

After that scare I always rechecked the locking pin and never, never would I let anyone stand on the inside of the blade. I would get the helper to stand beside me with his arm reaching under the blade to hold the bolts.

My point here is that it might be to err on the side of safety would be the reason the manual suggests on the ground procedure? :beatsme

On edit...Nice machine 770G

All grader men should check there centre pin when they have the blade suspended in the air similar to 770G's second photo, its pretty obvious what would happen to you if you were dismounting from cab when the blade comes down, ( or not so pretty), I have had the same thing happen to me as grader4me and it was not a nice feeling:eek:

Radrock

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I don't know if it's still the same but John Deere use to be able to stand the blade at a 90 degree angle where as cat couldn't quite do it. They had longer cylinders than cat had. I once cut a small ditch like that. I think it was for a starter course for retainer blocks

Radrock

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
That is a good looking John Deere by the way. Have you ever ran a John Deere with these controls. It was on a 772 A or B, Can't remember for sure but was very different.

JD770inside.jpg

blademan150

Occupation
Retired Local 150 Operating Engineer
I ran one of those things (I refuse to call em blades) for a season, I still have nightmares and twitch from it.

770G

Yes nobody ever goes on back side of blade EVER. And i always check the pin. But I'd never knock anyone for try'n to save my sorry ass;) as for the wooden chock's, I don't but I will now. GREAT IDEA!!!!!! And no I've never run an old Deere with controls like that thx for sharing that pic. For me, it would be like when I try to run a hoe on CAT controls..... ALL BAD lol I did run an old little Deere grader with what I'm told is "Deere controls", mold board lift are both on on far right. Awkward but I managed, I only plow town streets with it.

Last edited:

Radrock

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
The blade controls are both on the right side of this one. Far right in the picture. It has a forward reverse shifter on the left side of the steering wheel. And the gear selector on the right.

Radrock

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
haha on getting electricuted. It was a weird setup. I ran it for about 3 years. It was a horse. A funny thing was it was a six wheel drive grader. I had a two way radio in it as I was taking care of an oil field lease so we needed communications. Everytime I keyed the mic on that radio the front wheels would spin faster. We got John Deere on the deal and they installed a filter on the computer but that did not stop it. They said it was protected so it was OK. When I first started running that grader I slammed it into reverse thinking I was still on a cat grader. Just about broke my neck hahaha. I was really really missed the cat when I first got that grader. I got use to it and it didn't bother me.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I guess I never gave much thought to various ways to change cutting edges. I shift the table out the right side of the machine because on a Deere it has a bit more reach. I lay the moldboard on it's "back", forward cutting edge up, horizontal about waist high, bolts coming in from the top. New 8" blades won't lay on the moldboard without being held in place by hand but once they are worn down about 50% they will.

I was trying to imagine Grader4me's situation where he would use a helper to hold the bolts?? Can't figure that one out? Maybe you have the moldboard laying with the cutting surface down??

I don't have any pics of the position I use, I'll take one next time I rotate edges. Always looking to helpful ideas though!!! :)