• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

pics of a grader I stumbled upon

Serv

what do you guys think about it? Would it make a good machine? It's been sitting there for a while. This one was right under my nose and I didn't even know it. The property is for sale according to the sign out front so I'm pretty sure they'd sell the grader. What do you think I should expect to pay for it assuming it all functions properly?

Attachments

• DSC01220.JPG
    DSC01220.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,758
  • DSC01221.JPG
    DSC01221.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,757
  • DSC01222.JPG
    DSC01222.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,746
  • DSC01223.JPG
    DSC01223.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,741
  • DSC01224.JPG
    DSC01224.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,719
Last edited:

Serv

more pics

Attachments

• DSC01227.JPG
    DSC01227.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,679
  • DSC01226.JPG
    DSC01226.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,701
  • DSC01225.JPG
    DSC01225.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,708
  • DSC01228.JPG
    DSC01228.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,674
  • DSC01229.JPG
    DSC01229.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,671

Serv

even more

Attachments

• DSC01230.JPG
    DSC01230.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,637
  • DSC01231.JPG
    DSC01231.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,637
  • DSC01232.JPG
    DSC01232.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,622

DaveVB

Occupation
Maintenance Tech at Private Bible College
I would pay even less for the memories it brings back. The Air Force had a ton of those when I was in. Good enough machine i guess. I wasn't a grader operator so I don't remember anything good. The only thing major I ever did was road one from McConnell AFB (wichita ks) out to Andover I think (NE of the base on HWY 54) for a prairie fire response. I cut right through a homeowners landing strip while making a fire break.

Grader4me

John Deere graders are good machines. This one definatly looks "well used" but if everything works you might be able to get it for a song. Check the center of the moldboard, as in the picture it looks like it might be worn up into the board.
Looks like it would a good candidate for a restoration project.:)

Serv

well I spoke to the owner. He wants 15 grand for it and he sounds pretty firm. :eek: That's alot of food stamps!!

Story on it is he's owned it for 12 years. rebuilt the motor at the dealer 4 years ago. It all functions properly. The company has since upgraded to newer CAT equipment but they kept this old dog around.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Iron Planet's auction results only list one sold there in the last few years. It was supposed to be in pretty good shape overall, and it sure looked better than that one. It sold for $13,000.

Serv

thanks digger. I wonder why more haven't sold? that good of a model or what? :D

yea, with the amount of cosmetic work it needs (not to mention possible mechanical work) I would be hesitant to pay more than 5 grand for it. As much as I like fixing stuff up, they can get expensive quick.

Serv

I looked at an old 50's model Cat the other day. I think they said it was a 12. Rougher than this deere and not hydraulic. They are firm on 10k for that one. Without really having any prior experience in either machine, I would probably pay 10k for this deere before paying that for the Cat. what do you guys think? Is there any reason the Cat would be a better machine even if they were both in equal mechanical shape?

Grader4me

I looked at an old 50's model Cat the other day. I think they said it was a 12. Rougher than this deere and not hydraulic. They are firm on 10k for that one. Without really having any prior experience in either machine, I would probably pay 10k for this deere before paying that for the Cat. what do you guys think? Is there any reason the Cat would be a better machine even if they were both in equal mechanical shape?

That seems like a lot of dinnero for either one:eek: There would be pros and cons into which one to pick. You would have to access each one individually and decide. Myself, and this is only my opinion..if all things were equal mechanically, I would choose the Deere because of the full hydraulics. Knuckle buster controls would not be my cup of tea...Maybe I'm just getting old...:) Dam..I am old:eek:

Serv

That seems like a lot of dinnero for either one:eek: There would be pros and cons into which one to pick. You would have to access each one individually and decide. Myself, and this is only my opinion..if all things were equal mechanically, I would choose the Deere because of the full hydraulics. Knuckle buster controls would not be my cup of tea...Maybe I'm just getting old...:) Dam..I am old:eek:

great analogy, thanks!

Serv

If all you are doing is looking for some place to spend money then here is a AW like mine. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330119390470&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:us

That seems like a much better deal than the Deere. I would like to buy one for ~10k and obviously I'm looking for the biggest bang for the buck. I think I can save myself some money on my equipment (trailers/trucks) wear and tear by keeping my mile long dirt road that leads to my shop and yard maintained. But I can't justify buying an expensive machine since I don't do any work outside of my business.

The first time I ever heard of AW was yours so I have alot of learning to do. :D I like the fact that it runs on that two stroke detroit motor. Those are hard to kill.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Wow, check this one out! It's about 50 miles from me too. What's with the single rear axle? Is that undesirable or would that be fine? Can we still get parts for these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUSTIN-WESTERN-...ryZ61568QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Parts are still avalable but some will be used. it is all wheel drive so it still has the traction of the cat or JD you are looking at plus it also has rear wheel stearing. Price is right for a personal machine. If it is that close why don't you take a 1 hour drive to go try it out.
By th elooks of the cab side windows and the fact it has power stearing I would put it in the late 50's or early 60's machine. It also looks like it has the valving for front blade or riper.

Serv

Parts are still avalable but some will be used. it is all wheel drive so it still has the traction of the cat or JD you are looking at plus it also has rear wheel stearing. Price is right for a personal machine. If it is that close why don't you take a 1 hour drive to go try it out.
By th elooks of the cab side windows and the fact it has power stearing I would put it in the late 50's or early 60's machine. It also looks like it has the valving for front blade or riper.

Thanks for the great info Dwan. :drinkup

I sent the seller a message with my phone number when I saw the auction. So as soon as we make contact, I'll get myself up there.

I have 2 spare 3-71 engines that I use for my tire cutter, one of which is a new rebuild, so we are familiar with the 2 stroke detroits. What kind of transmissions are on these? Are they durable machines? Being a lighter machine, will that have many drawbacks?

Serv

I thought this comment was funny. :D I didn't see any overspray on the tires. :cool:

"IT HAS JUST BEEN REPAINTED. AND LOOKS OUTSTANDING. WE ARE NO PROFESSIONAL PAINTERS , BUT ITS STILL GOOD. "