• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Peterbilt shop manuals

JPSouth

I acquired a '98 Peterbilt 378, and went to looking for shop and operator's manuals for it. So there's a spread available, but appears that they are 'Custom Maintenance Manuals', not specific to a particular year, but some evidently specific to a 6 digit chassis number. I ordered one that was supposedly specific to '98, but paging through it there's info running from mid 90s to 2007. Most of the electrics are not what I'm seeing on mine, and the info for the dash and gauge clusters is clearly for something much later.

Operated several different Petes, but other than basic maintenance never worked on them. Wondered if anyone familiar could tell me if there's specific year manuals, or if what I've got is the norm. It's certainly better than nothing, but I have to say it's one of the poorer examples of a service manual I've ever seen. Many of the illustrations are garbage, look like a 3rd grader churned them out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 8.16.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 8.16.20 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

mitch504

I can't answer for a Pete, but maybe my Mack experience is similar.

Mack sells a service manual for every part on the truck, but each truck will be different. You can get a separate manual for the engine, the steering gear, transmission, rear end, frame, cab, sleeper, suspension, the electrical system, and on and on. If you give a dealer the serial number, they can print a list of the manuals that apply to that truck. You can't just buy a manual for a '99 CH 613 for example, like you can for a pickup, because all those things are different, depending on which one your truck was ordered with.