• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Peterbilt 379 Project

Fastdirt

It's a 3.5 I believe. Well we got along ways on it but not sure what we are up against doing now. Pulled the one spring out and all the other blocks and things put the bags in and let it all the way down all looks good other then the steering arm is completely up against the air bag and we can't nice the bag any farther over! So maybe do some fabricating or something. Gave up on it tonight try again In the mornin!

I've got the same kit. I am still not finished with my truck so I haven't driven it yet. The steering arm definitely hits the air bag and the steering arm will have to be trimmed down. Hopefully you have a lot of steel there too. Also I think the shocks might act like limiting straps when trying to air up to get more lift. I'm going to disconnect the shocks today to see if the bags will raise it more. To me the shocks look like they wouldn't have the stroke/travel to support anything more than 5" of setting the height. Seems the shocks need to be longer. When talking to 12 ga it was suggested to run a pressure gauge for the air on the front and one for the rear or a dual needle gauge for both. They suggested to buy the Peterbilt cruise switch that is spring toggled up and down. I've called 12 ga several times for support and they are about like calling the cable company.

I've got the same kit. I am still not finished with my truck so I haven't driven it yet. The steering arm definitely hits the air bag and the steering arm will have to be trimmed down. Hopefully you have a lot of steel there too. Also I think the shocks might act like limiting straps when trying to air up to get more lift. I'm going to disconnect the shocks today to see if the bags will raise it more. To me the shocks look like they wouldn't have the stroke/travel to support anything more than 5" of setting the height. Seems the shocks need to be longer. When talking to 12 ga it was suggested to run a pressure gauge for the air on the front and one for the rear or a dual needle gauge for both. They suggested to buy the Peterbilt cruise switch that is spring toggled up and down. I've called 12 ga several times for support and they are about like calling the cable company.

YA I have figured out there support is not so great.! Ya there's way to much steel on the end of the arm so that's what we are going to do. Let me know what you decide with the shocks. Because id really like to have the extra lift.! And ya I'm running a pressure guage on the front axle. They said air it up to 60lbs and that's normal operating height.! Should be done by tonight because it's gotta work tommorow.!

Slammed379

Great info guys, thank you. I didn't even think that the shocks could be the limiting problem and my steering is probably hitting the bag too, I'll have to check.

Great info guys, thank you. I didn't even think that the shocks could be the limiting problem and my steering is probably hitting the bag too, I'll have to check.

IMG_2380.jpgIMG_2379.jpgIMG_2383.jpg
Well i attached some photos hopefully you guys can see them with the bags deflated theres room we cut at least an inch or a lil more then an inch off the steering rod. but when the bags have air in them you can't even put your finger between the steering rod and bag. so I'm going to drive it all day tomorrow and i sure hope the bag doesn't pop because it'll ruin my fenders and alotta stuff. guess ill call 12 gauge tomorrow.:Banghead:Banghead

Fastdirt

Cool thanks for posting. My thoughts are that even after it's cut like you've done that the bag is going to expand and make contact when you hit bumps and such. However there are several axle configs under these trucks and I bet they all don't have the same steering arm. Good luck on the call to them. I got so frustrated last time I tried to talk to them. What did you use to cut it. An air cut off wheel? I'm assuming that is some hard steel. Post pics of the stance if you can. What axle do you have? I swapped to a "car hauler axle". I wanted the wider axle to get a better turning radius and to get the wheels out to the fender edge for a better look. I wanted the E1202W. "W" for wide. They sold me a TB101 and installed it and told me it was the same thing. It was wider than my stock axle but I don't know if it the widest one or even a 1202W. It's a 90" track center to center.

My bags say Kenworth on them.

Cool thanks for posting. My thoughts are that even after it's cut like you've done that the bag is going to expand and make contact when you hit bumps and such. However there are several axle configs under these trucks and I bet they all don't have the same steering arm. Good luck on the call to them. I got so frustrated last time I tried to talk to them. What did you use to cut it. An air cut off wheel? I'm assuming that is some hard steel. Post pics of the stance if you can. What axle do you have? I swapped to a "car hauler axle". I wanted the wider axle to get a better turning radius and to get the wheels out to the fender edge for a better look. I wanted the E1202W. "W" for wide. They sold me a TB101 and installed it and told me it was the same thing. It was wider than my stock axle but I don't know if it the widest one or even a 1202W. It's a 90" track center to center.

My bags say Kenworth on them.
We used a torch and then a flapper wheel and cleaned it up. Called 12 guage today and having extremely good luck! they are very helpful and doing all they can to get the problem solved. he said to put a socket on the top of steering arm where the pitman arm linkage comes through and trace around it with a sharp and that is how much you can trim off. But they are building me different brackets that actually mount on the inside of the frame for more clearance. so thats awesome :) And i will have to see what my axle is and i will also post some pics of the truck up in a bit. but so far 12 guage is working with me! said this is the first axle they have had problems with

Slammed379

We used a torch and then a flapper wheel and cleaned it up. Called 12 guage today and having extremely good luck! they are very helpful and doing all they can to get the problem solved. he said to put a socket on the top of steering arm where the pitman arm linkage comes through and trace around it with a sharp and that is how much you can trim off. But they are building me different brackets that actually mount on the inside of the frame for more clearance. so thats awesome :) And i will have to see what my axle is and i will also post some pics of the truck up in a bit. but so far 12 guage is working with me! said this is the first axle they have had problems with

This info is great, thank you. Did you mess with the shocks at all to see if they are locking out and limiting the front end from going up?

Hear is a couple pics of the truck not very good ones

Attachments

• IMG_2378.jpg
    IMG_2378.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 745
  • IMG_2396.jpg
    IMG_2396.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 746
  • IMG_2374.jpg
    IMG_2374.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 743

Slammed379

Hell yeah pulls a bottom dump I love it! Looks great!!

How do you like the fiberglass front fenders and who makes them?

Slammed379

Tristan, I checked my shocks to see if they were bottoming out or over extending and they are not. I kinda wished they were the problem, but they are not. I also learned that after about 60 psi the bags pretty much stop growing. You can pump more air in them after 60 psi, but not much happens.

How you liking your air ride?

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Please no more tease shots! I want to see the whole the thing not covered up:naughty

Slammed379

what hold the bag to the spring bracket?
what air spring is that?

very sweet ride. thank you for creating this thread, I am reading it again and again.

my 81 359 on the jobsite

Nice truck! I love 359's!

There is a stud on the bottom of the air bag seat that goes through the plate that the bag sits on and is secured with a nyloc nut. Sometimes I miss that bumper, like when I almost scrape the square one pulling into a driveway because it's so much lower to the ground.