• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Permanently mount a battery charger in my backhoe.

emmett518

I don't expect to be using my backhoe daily, so I'd like to put a battery charger on to keep up the battery.

Would it make sense to permanently wire a battery charger in the hoe so I can plug in the charger easily, rather than having a charger and wires hanging all over the place? I am going to put in a engine block heater if it doesn't have one, so I figured I could put a 110 volt socket on the hoe like they have on boats, and do both at the same time. I could switch each unit off the console.

Thanks

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I have SAE pigtials on all my batteries. I use a solar charger for maintenance but 120v chargers work also. The battery tender brand seems to be popular. I use their solar regulator on a 30w panel.

Welder Dave

Some battery chargers will back drain the battery if the cables are connected and the power is lost. Leaving a charger hooked up while running doesn't sound like a good idea.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
I have pigtails mounted on all my equipment batteries as well, and just move maintenance chargers around when it gets cold, not much need when it's warm...Block heater is a must if you live up north...A warm machine is a happy machine when it's cold....

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
The low amp maintainers I have all have a light that tells you if it's charging or if the battery is charged.

I rotate my solar maintainer between 2 tractors and a car. I put a switch between the solar panel and the maintainer. When I see the light is green I turn the panel off, move the lead to a different battery, and turn the panel back on.

Dirttracker18

AS noted above, solar or a maintainer, both usually come with permanent wiring for the battery and a quick connect.
The maintainers are good for the batteries and tend to extend battery life is you buy a quality unit.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I wire them in to the block heater circuit. Cold weather is when the batteries need the extra help.

Rob Gunn

I have a battery tender permanently on my JD 550 Dozer Diesel and my JD Gator Diesel. Both have good batteries but don't get much run time yearly, especially during winter months here in Michigan. I also always plug into a tender during the winter on my Harley Road King. Iv never had any issue with any of the batteries.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Not really heavy equipment but on my motorcycles most of them have the battery connected with a two conductor SAE plug at the battery. Makes it simple to hook up from one to the other. Also works as a convenient power source for things like intercoms or GPS. Probably should add them to the old Farmall and Zero Turn mower.

I'm not a big fan of having the charger mounted permanently mounted on anything especially a mobile piece of equipment that may be out in the weather and dirt.
74295_primary_225px.jpg

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Not really heavy equipment but on my motorcycles most of them have the battery connected with a two conductor SAE plug at the battery. Makes it simple to hook up from one to the other. Also works as a convenient power source for things like intercoms or GPS. Probably should add them to the old Farmall and Zero Turn mower.

I'm not a big fan of having the charger mounted permanently mounted on anything especially a mobile piece of equipment that may be out in the weather and dirt.
74295_primary_225px.jpg
F.Y.I. This picture is for the charger end. When you install the pigtail on the tractor battery you want the positive lead to be the insulated side of the connector.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
F.Y.I. This picture is for the charger end. When you install the pigtail on the tractor battery you want the positive lead to be the insulated side of the connector.
Good eye! I missed that little detail! The ones I have installed all have the "hot" end the insulated one!