• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Perkins running rough

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Hi Folks,
I’m looking for a little help. I have an old Bobcat with a Perkins 4.154 CAV pump. Machine came to me not running. I just replaced injector nozzles, set em to 2200, checked compressions, leak downs, pump timing, and replaced all fluids and filters. My problem is the engine is running rough. A little smoke; when it runs for awhile, I have to open the doors or I’ll get fogged out. Not what I would call too much smoke. Oh compressions are all around 380 +\- 20-30 psi. I checked my pump timing, and the cover had been removed and the timing circlip had tool marks on it, but the timing seemed correct at 18BTDC. With a laser thermometer checking each exhaust flange, I get about 100 degree swing across all 4 cylinders, so they’re all firing (at least sort of). Fuel has also been drained and replaced. I’m really scratching my head here. That engine should be running fairly smooth, and it’s just not nearly as smooth as I think it should be. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Did you try loosening individual injector lines to see if it isolated to one or more cylinders or they all act the same way with the line loosened?

I just considered that this evening! No, I haven’t tried that yet. Certainly going to tomorrow am. Good idea :)

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Did u happen to get the DES# off the injectors.??
2200 psi seems a smidge low..
If u can get the DES, I’ll look it up.
It’s also possible the cam ring inside the pump has smashed lobes.??
How does it start.??
What color is the smoke.??
Have U moved the timing any.??

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Did u happen to get the DES# off the injectors.??
2200 psi seems a smidge low..
If u can get the DES, I’ll look it up.
It’s also possible the cam ring inside the pump has smashed lobes.??
How does it start.??
What color is the smoke.??
Have U moved the timing any.??
I don’t know what DES number is? The pressure for the injectors, per the manual is 1800 - 2200. When they came to me, none of them was opening over 1500. I did move the pump a bit, advanced it from where it was, because according to the book, it was set to fire at TDC, not 18 degrees before, so I tried to get it a little closer. But the pump had been in that position for years, so tomorrow I’m planning on putting it back, and seeing how it does. The guy also told me it was always hard to start. Now that I’ve changed the nozzles, and advanced the pump a bit, it fires right up, but I’m not sure the pump timing is 100% accurate because the timing circlip had tool marks on it (and near it), and may have been messed with. So, the pump timing is a bit of an unknown. It’s hard to tell what color the smoke is, it’s not a lot, and my shop is small, so I open the doors up pretty quickly or I get headaches :). I’ll run it again tomorrow to loosen the lines like Welder Dave said, and put the pump back to where it was, and when I do, I’ll let it smoke up a little more and maybe I can tell what color it is. Thanks for the help!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
If u post the pump # I can look that up and tell u what letter it’s supposed to be.. if it’s listed..
The DES # is the CAV # that’s stamped on the inj. body.. (5222108)
same w the pump..(name plate)
DO NOT SCRAPE THE NAME PLATE..
It sounds as if you know what your doing.. so u should have some “gasket/paint stripper” in a spray can.. U can get it just about anywhere .. (parts store, Walmart)

Vetech63

Did you make sure all the old copper compression seals came out with the old injectors? I have had that happen several times(them staying in the head) in the past and the injectors ends up too high in the sleeve.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Did you make sure all the old copper compression seals came out with the old injectors? I have had that happen several times(them staying in the head) in the past and the injectors ends up too high in the sleeve.

I actually did have a problem with that, originally. Cyl 1 exhaust was 100-150 degrees colder than the others, after I installed the injectors again. What I found was the new copper I put in there was leaking. I barred the engine over by hand and could hear a hiss at that injector. Anyway, I was out of coppers at that point, but I had some aluminum washers, and used one of those, and that sealed it up. I was hopeful that was my root problem, but it wasn’t unfortunately. So, yes I did have a copper problem at first, but that apparently wasn’t my real problem. Good idea though!

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
I uploaded some pics of the pump. There aren't many discernible numbers on it. There is a "342" on the pump head. Also what is possibly a 7132A01 written on the inside of the mounting flange. Not much else. My nozzles were DNOSD126, and the injectors, if my notes are to be believed, are SDN 31-1610. There is a procedure in the book about setting the timing circlip in the pump. I performed that procedure, and my circlip was a bit off. I'm putting the pump back on now, and hopefully I can get it running.

Attachments

• drive.end.jpg
    drive.end.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 23
  • pump.head.jpg
    pump.head.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 22
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 23

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Ahhh.. now I get it, there’s no name plate..
Did u take it off.??
How did u check the c clip.??
Put fuel/air pressure on the #1 cyl..
With no name plate and no spec sheet to go by.. I guess u could determine it by the line it hooks up to the #1 engine cyl..
THEN rotate the pump in the NORMAL direction of rotation..again since no name plate, there’s no arrow (on name plate) to point the direction..
& U MUST b standing IN FRONT OF THE PUMP while rotating the drive..

Last edited:

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
I took a lovely artistic, enticing and visually stimulating video today, that I'll post up this afternoon. Its running better than it ever has, and it might be as good as I'm going to get, but it's still not quiiiite where I'd like it to be.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic

I taught Steven Spielberg everything he knows. So, it’s definitely running, and it might be as good as I can get, but I’d just like to see it a little smoother.

Vetech63

Did your marks line up behind that little side plate? It looks like the pump housing is all the way to one side of the slots.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
It is all the way. Actually, it could have gone a little more. That might mean the gear on the fuel pump is off a tooth. According to the best info I have, it should fire #1 at 18* BTDC. It’s actually closer to 16, so it’s a little later than it technically should be.

Welder Dave

Having the air cleaner hooked up might make it sound a little smoother. The 4-154 wasn't one of the most popular Perkins. They weren't rare but were a little different recipe from the very popular 3-152, 4-236 and 6-354. I had a Miller welder with a 4-154 in it. The rear seal leaked a bit but it started and ran good.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
I had the manual for it, so I must have worked on one before, I just don’t remember. Shocking, I know. Funny thing is, I got an old Ferguson coming in a week or so with the same engine. Similar problems too. Anyway thanks you guys for helping me think through this. The root problem was multifaceted, and I had been working on this machine for too long! I guess I couldn’t see the forest for the trees, and got all wrapped around the axle about it. It’s wierd how that happens to me sometimes. I’m scaring 50, and have been a mechanic all my life, and still every once in awhile, I get hung up on something like this, and I need a little help pulling myself out of the weeds. Thanks guys!