• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Perkins 854 Metering Valve

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
i Wanted to ask the masses if anyone has ever come across this. I’m replacing a turbo on a Perkins 854, that’s in a Terex track steer. In order to get the turbo out, I had to remove a valve on the intake manifold. I believe it’s called a metering valve. The part number is T419490. Anyway, I took the valve off by taking 5 or 6 torq screws off, took the valve off, and got the turbo out. I’m getting ready to put the turbo back in and I see that valve has a screen and a rubber gasket. So I call diesel parts direct to order the gasket and they tell me I can’t replace it, I gotta replace the valve. The valve is almost 2 grand!

So what they’re telling me is that Perkins made a component that comes apart with common hand tools, but when you do, you’re in for a $2000 bill? I’ve been working on engines for a long dang time, and I have never heard of such nonsense. Has anyone else? Am I off my rocker here?

Cmark

Can you take a photo of it? Might be able to track it down as a Cat part number.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
The first .jpeg is the part I actually removed. You can see the screen and the rubber gasket. The second is out of the manual. Index #1 is the part in question.

Attachments

• 764CA98C-DB32-4C90-9FAF-572DA8D53A33.jpeg
    764CA98C-DB32-4C90-9FAF-572DA8D53A33.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21
  • AE2102AE-BA57-4781-BBB3-247C980EEFE7.jpeg
    AE2102AE-BA57-4781-BBB3-247C980EEFE7.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 18

Cmark

That would be a Cat C3.4B I believe. Valve part number is 4638913 and, confirmed, you can't get seperate parts for it I'm afraid.

valve.jpg

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Thank you sir! I have an email into Perkins down in Florida. They're doing an inventory so won't be able to get back to me until maybe next week. This is so frustrating to me, I just can't believe what I'm seeing. I'll post up what I find. Maybe I'll just slap the dang thing back together and call it good.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Well, after the rude a$$ down in Florida told me to RTFM, I told him where to stick it. So, bottom line, that's not supposed to come apart. More accurately, there are no replaceable parts in there. I asked him if he had ever heard of one-way fasteners, rivets, welding... there were 99 solutions to this problem and they picked the absolutely worst one. I'm just going to put it back together and move on. Perkins.