• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

$ per hour

DGODGR

Don't you Brits do snow removal over there? As much snow as you are complaining about you might think about snow removal. Falling white stuff = $ on this side of the pond. I would also say that snow removal can be more profitable than dirt work.

Hendrik

Don't you Brits do snow removal over there? As much snow as you are complaining about you might think about snow removal. Falling white stuff = $ on this side of the pond. I would also say that snow removal can be more profitable than dirt work.
They used to until occupational health and safety stepped in and imposed a whole bunch of rules.

moparguy55

Not up here snow removal is nowhere near $50 an hour. Most have their own snowblower as they are fairly cheap new. If not there are guys doing a contract for the WHOLE winter for $300, or less for a small driveway. You see a lot more guys mowing lawns and plowing snow than you do with mini Ex's up here in the great white north anyway.

I thought about doing it, but snow removal is kind of hard on trucks. I'd buy another just for plowing. Take awhile to pay off a plow truck with these rates.

strott

Occupation
Mini Excavator and dumper operator

Have thought about it but as you may of noticed the UK market doesn't really like paying for earthmoving let alone clearing snow!!!!

Not to mention the health and safety brigade saying that if a person clears snow from outside their property then if a person were to slip on the cleared ground the homeowner would be liable.

:beatsme

joispoi

Do any of you charge more for working in the cold?

The colder it is, the slower things tend to progress. Guys in the trenches with 4 layers of clothes move slower than when they're dressed for summer work...cold fingers move slower, machines take longer to warm up and de-ice etc- fuel gelling (although not so much anymore these days). With this in mind, work in the cold does cost more. If you keep your regular rate, you are already charging more. As far as upping the rate goes, I never considered it. I figure it's kinda hard to explain the bill when a customer asks why is the rate higher when net output is lower.

joispoi

You need a couple more years of good snowfall to get people in the mood to pay for snow removal. In places where they're used to snow, people are glad to pay for good service. I imagine if you're not used to having snow, there's no budget set aside for it and the thought of having to pay someone to get rid of a bit of white stuff might seem outrageous. A couple more winters of snow and having to hand shovel the driveway, people will understand the value of snow removal service.

special tool

You need a couple more years of good snowfall to get people in the mood to pay for snow removal. In places where they're used to snow, people are glad to pay for good service. I imagine if you're not used to having snow, there's no budget set aside for it and the thought of having to pay someone to get rid of a bit of white stuff might seem outrageous. A couple more winters of snow and having to hand shovel the driveway, people will understand the value of snow removal service.

Alas - very unlikely, what with all this global warming going on.:D

volvobl

well we had a lot more snow again last night back to square one. I have been told by the council that im on standby if they need me but thats like waiting for next christmas to come.
On top of things the councils have got no money and running out of salt they cant get it out of the ground fast enough im told if i clear the road to my place and surrounding area without the go ahead from the council then im liable for the road and people on it.
Loads of contractors are off naw due to the snow here there are a few hauliers out but the local quarry hasnt had no orders at all only a few loads of 6mm pea gravel to mix with the salt for the council. Yet i see all fuel suppliers out day and night people heating oil and fuel.

pw58

around here there is too many guys with snowblowers in the back of pickups to compete with around here.For $25-$30 a driveway it doesn't pay to start my skid at -20.

volvobl

actually i think that now the credit crunch has hit wales lots of work dying down

nobull1

Charter Member
Occupation
Same as interests
I reckon the problem in Oz is that the interest rates have gone up and homeowners are not spending.

How much and when did the rates go up? Just curious as the the rates in Canada are set to go up this summer, Bank of Canada rate is .25% with 5 year mortgages at around 5%

cat943

Occupation
loader and excavator operator
The mortgage rate is hovering around 7% it went up ¼ % only last week and its tipped to rise at least ½ % by the end of the year…
As for building activity in Melbourne it’s still strong at the moment and there is a far amount of machinery moving about still.