• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

PC300 Will not start

Bala

I wrote this reply earlier, must have hit the wrong button, any way, I believe i noticed a rail pressure sensor when i had a quick look at the wiring diagram, and it must have one as it threw a fault code for same a few weeks back, i change filters and it has been ok since but has done very few hrs since as i have had it in the workshop, perhaps it has rail pressure that is bordering on low?. it does start well and run under load well though as long a the solenoid is disconnected.
Where would i purchase diagnostic equipment?

On a side not of never boring i had to go out this afternoon and came back past a few rig sites to check on machines, as i approached this PC300 i noticed the operator running toward the machine with a 20l container, pulled up beside him as he climbed up on the track, when i asked him what was happening he said battery on fire. I had just the day before had the battery hold down fixed?, but they are steel bars and as it was not fixed properly one had jumped up and shorted one of the batteries, it had melted a fair amount of the NEW battery away. But it seems ok, no long term damage.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I wrote this reply earlier, must have hit the wrong button, any way, I believe i noticed a rail pressure sensor when i had a quick look at the wiring diagram, and it must have one as it threw a fault code for same a few weeks back, i change filters and it has been ok since but has done very few hrs since as i have had it in the workshop, perhaps it has rail pressure that is bordering on low?. it does start well and run under load well though as long a the solenoid is disconnected. Where would i purchase diagnostic equipment?
Is it a Cummins or a Komatsu engine ..?

If it's Cummins you need to get hold of "In-Site" from your Cummins dealer
It it's Komatsu you need to speak to your local Komatsu dealer.

eric12

ive herd of kobelcos having a inline fuse for their fuel pumps behind the seat in the cab in a mess of wires by the ground... and that fuse controls the fuel pump on cummins engines so if your komatsu has a cummins clone in it that might be something to look for, it sounds similar. if not see if there is a bad relay in the cab that shorted out and isnt sending power to the fuel shut off solenoid. also if there is an emergency shut off switch or cable that could cause a no fuel issue.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Mine was actually a dodgy wiring harness connection between the ECM & the fuel pressure sensor. It caused the ECM to keep the injection system deactivated.

Also have a check if you have any emergency stop buttons anywhere on your machine. The above engine was on a drill and there are 3 E-Stop buttons at various points on the machine. The first issue we found when we put In-Site on to the ECM was that we had an E-Stop signal (dirty contacts on one switch). When we fixed that we found the fuel pressure sensor issue.

Bala

I will be looking into Insite, see if that will fit in my budget when I can get quotes form my dealer again, at the moment I have not been able to get Komatsu parts all this month due to an accounting error on our behalf, I have 3 esc and 2 dozers, 4 of them are komatsu, so I am not a very enthusiastic workshop superintendent at the moment.

Thanks for all your help

Bala

An update,

this machine does not put up a fault code but fails to start and runs very poorly with the fuel pump actuator connected, the actuator tested fine and also a new one was fitted.

This machine had been running fine since Nov last year with the little globe inline instead of the fuel pump actuator, as when the actuator is disconnected a fault code comes up for disconnected circuit, my 5 minute temporary fix to trial is still there.

Through contacts I got alerted to a page in the manual, Failure code CA271, dealing with short circuit in the supply pump actuator, this was in Feb this year, I run the resistance tests from the plug at the actuator and they were all over the place. So it pointed to either a fault in wiring or defective engine controller.
As komatsu Aus at the time has sold only one engine controller for this model in the previous 12 months and there has been no alerts on them it was deemed likely I had a wiring issue.
Today( yep I know I am fast) I run the tests again, today I had good steady readings and I also did the complete series of tests and did tests at the pins on the engine controller.
My conclusion is that I have No resistance to earth on the actuator feed + terminal at the engine controller, so while it has no resistance in ohms it may not carry volts/amps well enough to be a dead short, but enough to cause voltage supply problems to the actuator, I could put a mega on it but I would likely cause more damage.

My solutions: as the new unit is many $ and my budget is tight and the machine is running fine it will stay as it is unless/until it develops.

excavatorr

OFF TOPIC
THIs is off topic, but I can't make a new post due to my post count. But I have a 220-8 with the LCD screen. I want to change the service intervals on the LCD. It says you need to take it to the dealer for that but that's crap. Its just another revenue making opportunity for Komatsu. I'm sure there is some button you press or a combination of buttons when you turn the machine on in order to get to deal more or something on the LCD. I have googled it but no luck. Anyone can help me much appreciated

Bala

OFF TOPIC
THIs is off topic, but I can't make a new post due to my post count. But I have a 220-8 with the LCD screen. I want to change the service intervals on the LCD. It says you need to take it to the dealer for that but that's crap. Its just another revenue making opportunity for Komatsu. I'm sure there is some button you press or a combination of buttons when you turn the machine on in order to get to deal more or something on the LCD. I have googled it but no luck. Anyone can help me much appreciated

I think i have found what you need, I have sent a pm, will be easier to email them than post on here