1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Paver shopping

Discussion in 'Pavers' started by andoman, Oct 14, 2019.

1. andoman

andoman Well-Known Member

So we’re demoing a new Bomag 1030T and a Volvo P7110B. We mostly run cat and Roadtec pavers but we figured it was time to see what the other guys are offering these days. What are your guys thoughts?

2. andoman

3. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    My current employer is peddling Vogele. I hear they're good, I don't see them often, but I know they're out there laying mat. German engineered so you know it has redundant complications.

andoman likes this.
  4. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

Never had mechanical fault with my Vogele 5203 tracked paver. Had the Carlson EZScreed IV on it. But, man o man, the germans made the electronics uber complicated and expensive. Even the wear parts exceeded my expectations.

I can say with no uncertainty, do NOT buy a Leeboy anything. The intrinsic mechanical and electrical design have been a headache since day one. What piece of underengineering.

andoman, mg2361 and funwithfuel like this.
  5. andoman

Yeah I get it the mills are the same way. We weren’t huge fans of the control scheme on the Vogele’s either, it probably works good on roads but it was cumbersome on commercial work.

We’d never even entertain a Lee boy, most of the municipalities in Michigan write their specs to not allow them, usually by weight or class.

6. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    I’ve run and repaired pavers for more then 40 year . My biggest complaint about the new ones is why do you need a computer to do what has been done with toggle switches for years and years . My belief is KISS method (keep it simple stupid) saves a lot of headaches

7. buddy605

buddy605 Well-Known Member

Engineering tech/ survey
    If I was buying a new paver. I would buy the Vogele because if the need arises you could get it fitted with the spreypaver. That would give the option for ultra thin lift. Quarter inch mixes are looking better with liquid going up more and more