• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pastures full of Honey Locust Trees

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
My most productive day ever was a seek and destroy job for a farmer that had a HL problem. He called me in after several of his cattle suffered blindness due to thorns in the eyes. My first day I covered about 5 acres of medium thick total clear along a terrace full of HL, cherries, cedar and oak. I thought that was very productive until the second day when it was "destroy any/every HL you can find in the rest of the fields". It was sporadic cutting of 1/2"-6" trees and thickets of trees and I covered 22 acres that one day. This was accomplished with the Barko 937. The ground speed and horsepower of that machine is pure productivity when the terrain is relatively flat. I realize that this is not a DIY method unless you already have a 937. However, remember this, more $/hr for a bigger machine usually translates to lowest $/acre worked and results in saving the customer money. I've found nothing else that mulches as fast as the rubber tire machine due to its ground speed and horsepower.

As for alternative chemical treatments, bleach used to be about $1 gallon but I hear that has gotten expensive. Trees also hate paint thinner and other strong chemicals, and so do I in my well. There is a dry granule product called Spike that will leach into the soil and kill every tree in the area. Depending on the time of year of application and species, I've had excellent results with this stuff. There are also "wet hatchets" that deliver chemical products into the cambium of the tree (think of it like a syringe for a tree) and ensure good dosing on problem trees.

You might also do some searching on ForestryForum.com and other tree/logging/farming forums for more ideas on other herbicides and application ideas to control your growing problems.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
One OH BTW, If treat a HL with Tordon, Any other tree with roots in contact will ALSO Die. I really did not care as want the damn HL Dead!!

Can Dozer push them out or dig out with a Excavator but ANY root left in the ground and untreated will Sprout a Sapling or Saplings.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
DMillar, would a mesquite grubber type attachment on an excavator do the job as a mechanical means of removal?
I looked at this idea for the removal of Prickly Acacia of which there's 4.4 million acres at the last count just in Queensland, Australia. There's good reports from the University of Texas, Dallas Campus on its effectiveness.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Not for Honey or even Black Locust, all the Feeder roots have to either be Poison KILLED or Removed from the ground, Neither a Dainty or time efficient task. One 1/2" diameter four foot long root can nest up a half dozen sprouts all fanning out MORE Feeders with ever more sprouts.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Know if several farms around that mow them down early spring, by time they regrow Sprouts they use 'Pasture Clear' sprays and work to destroy al the HL organics in the ground. Will still come back, seeds lay dormant for years then decide time to run, then go all thru it again. Native Trees yet Invasive as all get out.

terex herder

HL are easily controlled with fire, as with Western Red Cedar. But to many structures for easy usage of fire.

Delmer

The best part of a mesquite grubber on an excavator would be piling them to burn without getting near the thorns. They'd come back, but more susceptible to herbicides, mowing, or grazing by goats.

JD955SC

We had a couple locust trees on our property.

dad pulled one out with the tractor and the roots were insanely long

NepeanGC

Occupation
#dirtherder
We have Honey Locust trees here, but they certainly don't look like that! I guess there is one or two benefits of a shorter growing season, and cold winters!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
There are Black Locust and Honey Locust, Blacks still have limb spikes but generally minimal on the trunk.

Delmer

We have honey locust, but they're probably not native, they were sold as thornless and planted a lot for yard trees. Then they got thorns, but not like THAT. So that might be why we don't have as thorny of honey locust in the north.

Queenslander

There is a dry granule product called Spike that will leach into the soil and kill every tree in the area. Depending on the time of year of application and species, I've had excellent results with this stuff.

Thankfully, I’ve had no experience with Honey Locust, but I have killed many acres of Eucalypt with Tebuthiuron pellets (Spike).
400 acres would warrant aerial application.
Advantages are.. almost 100% kill, the residual action limits regrowth for at least a number of years and you don’t have to lift a finger if flying it on.
Downside is that it is difficult to leave desirable trees through the paddock.

Queenslander

Reminds me of the loaded dog. (Old Aussie short story)
No, there are no withholding periods etc. for livestock.
The pellets dissolve after the first light shower of rain.
It is not as toxic as you might think….at least not for humans and animals.

JAKES.

My neighbor used to use a pair of Belgian draft horses to skid logs. One time he was clearing the edge of an old field he hitched the horses to a Black locust tree while he was sawing. The horses munched on the locust bark; causing them to founder and they had to be euthanised. Black locust is toxic to livestock.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
Funny should ask
Guy I worked with had issues with neighbors dog crapping all over HIS lawn
Made the pup a drinking dish 10% Tordon
Never hurt the dog, killed every shrub in the neighbors yard!! Everything the dog pissed on!
LMAO!

Now I've got to thinkin'.....I could go almost hippie vegan solar-windmill electrified green and get off the diesel addiction. I could buy/build a herd of goats for vegetation control and keep them fed a steady diet of Spike to eradicate any trees in a work area! I could wander the world with my herd and build pastures from **** & poop.

No way. I'll never give up my coffee or diesel....nor my guns. Ain't NO hippie blood in my veins.:cool:

Old Doug

Treemuncher what does it cost to have some one like you clear trees? I need to have a reality check i may never have the time to do it my self.