• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

parts availability for D6C

thefixxer

My son is looking at buying a D6C s/n 10K12812. Overall looks like a nice dozer. I am just wondering about parts availability for this machine. I believe it is a 1977 model.

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
My son is looking at buying a D6C s/n 10K12812. Overall looks like a nice dozer. I am just wondering about parts availability for this machine. I believe it is a 1977 model.
From my experience with CAT they should have about anything you could think of for a 10K machine somewhere in their vast component system. As for the small insignificant items like sheet metal and such maybe not so much, but anything the machine would need to make it operable they would likely have somewhere on the planet.

Welder Dave

I think 1977 is when they went to the D6D but maybe yours was one of the last C's before the change. I don't have my booklet handy to look it up. Someone will be along shortly that can tell from the serial number. Very popular dozer so parts shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

thefixxer

It has been well taken care of. Anything in particular I should be looking at on this series of dozer?

Attachments

• IMG_4914.png
    IMG_4914.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4912.png
    IMG_4912.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 50

Welder Dave

Other than some spalling on 1 track link it looks very good. Tracks look a little tight but that's a cherry D6C. Find it hard to believe only 3200 hours though. Definitely been repainted. Where did it come from?

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
Nice looking machine...with those hours it must have been an US Forest Service machine or something like that maybe? The enclosed/screened in cab makes me say that.

nicky 68a

Beautiful looking machine.
Be very hard to find a better one.
Much of the expense is in the undercarriage,blade,winch and asthetic appearance.If it’s innards are as nice as it looks from the outside, it will be as good as it gets for a 45/50 year old machine.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
A little over 3200 original hours.
Hour meters can be replaced. Just saying.

Don't look at that meter, instead look at the machine condition.
For something of that age actual condition is far more important than hours when considering what it's worth.
It certainly does not look like original paint. Not talking here about the colour, more about the condition of the paint.
My 2c, YMMV.

Welder Dave

The burnt paint on the manifold suggests a repaint. Most new machines I've seen the manifold isn't painted and this one looks like it was by paint still being on the end bolt.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
10K12812 makes it a 1976 YOB D6C. The last 10K D6C was 10K13703 in 1977.

That's a very nice condition tractor, but if you believe that it's only done 3240 hrs, I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona going real cheap just for you.

The undercarriage is virtually new, and that doesn't jell with an original 3240 hrs. It's had a full undercarriage replacement, and the original undercarriage more than likely ran for 8,000 - 10,000 hrs.

It's had an easy life, and been well cared for, and that makes a huge difference when purchasing a tractor.
The D6C is one of Cats most reliable and balanced tractors ever built.

Darwin09

This dozer is probably from CDF\Calfire. At one time the agency had about 50 of them. They would get a very low number if hours per year. Some only 150-175 per years. In the late 80s they were updated with the Erops and some got a cat certified rebuild and hours meters were zeroed out. Most orginly had the manual angle\tilt blade. All that were still in service circa 2008 or 9 ish had a straight blade put on them. The last ones were put out of service about 2020 or so.