• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pallet jack

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I have a roofing contractor that just got the bid on a series of 4 story apartments, and am looking at getting one of these, having picked shingles before using conventional rigging methods. This one seems to have all the needed features.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_99dJZROGx6y6K1_dcirejoOkWur-Nzi/view
I’ve used one very similar to dismantle silos they work quite well. The only problem I’ve had is with the older one I have used is the spring Cable mechanism failed and we had to reposition the top hitch point manually. But overall a very useful piece of equipment.

crane operator

I find the spring/ roller gizmo is always broke on the customer provided one's I've used, just like tradesman had happen. They don't hold up.

Mine is a manual slide. The lift point just slides back and forth on the square bar. Its simple and pretty hard to break. You can see it at the left in this picture. My gripe about mine is the forks won't slide for different width pallet, They're supposed to, but they are too tight. I need to rework them sometime. (they'll slide with a big hammer)

pallet forks.JPG

I think I'd get the one with the sliding D ring and notches if buying new- I don't see any new ones like mine.

Get the biggest rated one that you can lift, full pallets of shingles can be +3,500lbs.

pallet forks 2.jpg

Last edited:

crane operator

I think I would like to try one of these, but I don't know how the spring would hold up over time. The roofers wouldn't have to slide anything and it should just go back and forth from empty to full pick point with no repositioning.

When you are doing semiloads of shingles it would save a lot of time. I wonder if when they are just unloading by hand on a sloped roof, it would stay hanging level, which none of the other ones will.

pallet forks 3.jpg

Natman

The smaller ones, 1.5 ton, would be just right for my capacity, even if they have to off load a few bundles off a full pallet. Also a bit less expensive and a bit lighter to haul. Assuming they will want them scattered around so I want to keep my reach/load reasonable. I'll wait until I get together with the out of state head guy on the project, I'm just dealing with the roofer. For all I know, they have a self erector on site.

I can see one of these possibly being useful for the right HVAC jobs too, the more tools in the box the better.

crane operator

I never take my mack to go do shingles. I always use one of the bigger truck cranes or my rt.

Its cycle work with 3,500lbs pallets, and that's more than I want with a boom truck.

1/2 pallets would be much better.

Natman

I was thinking 1 ton, max. If my setup was optimum. It all depends how much access I have when the day comes. If the if the out of state contractor is too big a pain to deal with (they are already asking for more insurance than I normally carry), and I wouldn't be surprised if they go with a crane outfit from their state. That would be OK with me as I know the guys at the other outfit in question (big time, 50 machines, to my one) and they throw the smaller stuff my way, and I throw them stuff too big for me.