• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Painting tips/Advice

Reubs

Hi Everyone, just after any Tips and advice on applying Top Coat's onto Metal Surfaces etc. As I am restoring an Old Galion/Wakefield grader, I am looking for advice on methods of applying the top coat's of Paint etc. The machine Is currently housed outside and I have thought about Just applying the Top paint coat's with a Paintbrush In the past. But I Think the brush marks will end up showing through. Is there any special kind of paintbrush availiable that does not show the brush marks when the paint is applied?. Or should I just stick to good Old spraypainting?. Any advice would be much appreciated, Cheers.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
If the base material is kind of rough and the paint gloss is medium, and you take care to have some decent technique like keeping a wet edge (so don't paint in the hot sun), the final job will be pretty decent ... you can also try some paint additive like flo- enhancer. Lots of sail boats get painted with a brush and brush marks don't show, in fact they look beautiful. Lighter colors typical of course in these cases.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
The throw away foam brushes do not leave brush marks. Just do not try to use one to long. They are cheap enough to toss every 45 minutes.

FSERVICE

[QUOTE=old

they also make rollers outa the same stuff!!! great for what your wanting to do!!

Reubs

Thank's people for the advice. I will go down to the local paint shop some time and purchase some of those foam brushes.