• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Paint matching on equipment?

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
Best way to get a match on equipment is? I have 4 Lulls I want to paint they don't sell it like I guess CAT would. Last time I used 1 gallon of orange and one gallon of red from True Value hardware. That was in 92:eek: Held up decent but now they need done again what options are there? Don't really need an automotive finish paint.

I guess store could match color but I can't bring the machine there.;) No real parts to remove for a match that are near original color like my forst batch was. Now with low VOC paints everything is a PITA.

Trying to paint about 800 scaffold frames but the low VOC paints don't cure for a month or more. Did some with Rustoleum and I was still able to take my fingernail and scratch off the paint after 5 weeks.:(

Thanks for any input.

Hendrik

Might be best off to find a professional paint store, not the local one that specializes in house paint but a proper one with industrial paints.
POR 15 is not an option because it does not like UV rays.
Paint matching is difficult because paint fades and even if you can get factory colour, it may well not look right.
I just did a bit of a paint job on my ex and grabbed some industrial stuff that was a close match to Kobelco blue/green. Sure I could have forked out for Kobelco paint but the paint on my ex is faded.
Another trick is (depending on the size of the job) to buy cheap paint brushes and then throw them out, instead of cleaning them. This stuff I bought needed a special cleaner/thinner and instead of buying that stuff I just got a pack of 10 brushes for 8 bucks or so and then threw out the 2 that I used. I figured by the time I buy this cleaner and then use it to clean brushes it would be cheaper just to throw the brush out. Probably also more environmentally sound to do that

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm not into paint, I try to run and hide from it as much as possible. :D But I agree with Hendrik, go to a professional paint supplier and get an Industrial Enamel. As for color match; have you got any cover panels on your machine that you could remove. A lot of times, a cover panel hasn't been exposed to sunlight on the inside and it's fairly close to the original color shade. ;)

hi-ball

A buddy of mine painted his pickup with tremclad & mixed in hardner
(cataylst) I do believe It should be the same stuff used with fiberglass
resin. It worked good it was hard at the end of the day .

If you want it to last & dont mind the extra prep You could go to a store
that sells marine supplies & buy endura www.endura.com I have this on
two of my vehicle,s It does not fade , scratch or breakdown but if you
would use this you would definalty want to check with someone who,s
used this before & follow all safety instructions.

Best of luck Shane.

Speedpup

Occupation
Thanks all for the tips. Not much left to match a color with that I could remove smaller than a boom section :(

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I wonder if JLG has Lull paint available in a quart can. If so, you could buy a quart from them, then have a paint store match to that. Or maybe someone like Webb Equipment, they've been selling/working on Lulls for years, maybe they can fix you up with the correct color.

Speedpup

Occupation
I wonder if JLG has Lull paint available in a quart can. If so, you could buy a quart from them, then have a paint store match to that. Or maybe someone like Webb Equipment, they've been selling/working on Lulls for years, maybe they can fix you up with the correct color.

I buy from Web all the time. Good staff there and at Arrow Equipment NC for parts. Local Lull dealer has NOT a CLUE on parts or how to expidite them in a rush. It's like they couldn't be bothered :rolleyes: I called Web yesterday and said they have a company do a match for them as suggested above. Guess they didn't want to tell me :beatsme They said the Lull/JLG paint was nuts and seemed like they didn't want to bother:(

Web told me years ago they were using 1 gal orange and 1 qt red true value and it was a great match to a cleaned up grease area. Who knows with paint changing now a days what it is like. Cure time on low VOC crap is thirty days I discovered when wanting to paint about 800 scaffold frames:mad::mad:

What the hell how much could a qt be 50-100? I'll have to bug them some more.

Then do they do a match from the can or is it better to paint a piece of metal?

I have a ton of painting projects and like last year winter is here in a snap.:eek:

I guess I look real hard for something that was greased over for years and preserved like you said that I can unbolt. Hell it's not a frame off restoration on a big buck car.

Sherwin-Williams has a paint DTM direct to metal and the impact rating is real high with no primer needed. I need to buy some this week and try it. They said they can match colors. It does have 30 day cure time like everything else I can buy in quantity.