• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pacific trucks in the logging industy

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
I might add ...That fiberglass tilt front end was a down under export nose only..We had a special mold for their trucks that got the glass nose..If I remember correct they even had a special model number.P-600's I believe it was.Lots of height for visiblily and usually massive roo-gaurds depending on the area they were worked.......Cory

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
I might add ...That fiberglass tilt front end was a down under export nose only..We had a special mold for their trucks that got the glass nose..If I remember correct they even had a special model number.P-600's I believe it was.Lots of height for visiblily and usually massive roo-gaurds depending on the area they were worked.......Cory

Yes, P-600 was the model, special for N.Z. saw many when i lived in N.Z. 1982! KLC & NZFP were still running P-9's, although heavily modified by the company shops.

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
So you should have many great pictures.

Yes I do! All are scanned, but need to be drastically re-sized. When we lived in NZ, 8 months during 1982, I spent a week onsite at NZFP Kinleith mill. Rode a P-9 out in the bush w/ camera in hand, then spent days at the weigh bridge.

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
I was not there but have a good friend down in New Zealand and he has looked for Pacific trucks and asked around and sent me many, since I wrote my story on Pacific trucks.

diamondtguy

Occupation
I remember KLC...I actually have a book written on their stuff....Lots of pictures of Pacific's and Macks..I well remember all the work that went into the export trucks (pick and pack)..I remember sending some good size trucks to Malasia (sp).They were complete trucks all wrapped up and just dripping with a rust protection liquid....Cory

Hank R

Occupation
There were 12 P-16 that were sold to North Borneo Timber, in Malaysia. In 1987 these 12 trucks returned to B.C. and were converted to Left hand drive since it was very unlikely any logger would want to drive a truck sitting on the wrong side :beatsme and sold on Vancouver Island.

Hank R

Occupation
Just found my notes and West World Truck and Equipment, in Vancouver imported 13 trucks back to Canada in 1987. 12 P-16 and 1 Hayes WHDX. The Pacific trucks were spec'd with Detroit Diesel 12V71 engines, Allison 5960 automatic transmissions, Clark VT91 rear axles.

dirty4fun

You guys amaze me knowing so much about these old trucks. Darn I sure enjoy reading all the information that is shared here. THanks

diamondtguy

Occupation
Do you know what years the trucks were ??They must have been built before my time there as I don't remember any P-16 being built for export.Nice to hear they came back and went back to work...Cory

Hank R

Occupation
Sorry Cory, I do not know the years of these trucks I am only guessing that several were built together then some more. could be spread out for a year or two. In Trucking Canada April 1987 on page W 7 is a 1/3 page story about these trucks.

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Olympic Forest Products P16

Olympic Forest Products P16 with lowbed; summer 2014

Attachments

• P16 lowbed s1.jpg
    P16 lowbed s1.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 601
  • P16 lowbed s2.jpg
    P16 lowbed s2.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 677
  • P16 lowbed s3.jpg
    P16 lowbed s3.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 608
  • P16 lowbed s4.jpg
    P16 lowbed s4.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 605

Hank R

Occupation

big ben

Hank R, so what's the story behind this build ? Don't know much about the pacific's but wasn't this was after "production" was finished ? Obviously since they took out part of a wall this was the first build in that building ? Can you imagine the costs today building one truck at a time by hand.

Awesome video thanks for posting.

Where is the location ? Vancouver somewhere ?

Thanks