• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pacific trucks in the logging industy

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
I believe the P16 in picture has a signature 600 Cummins in it , it was the #40-96 . The H119 P16 was the #40-91 and has a Detroit series 60 in it .They both were CZ trucks from Nanaimo Lakes , #40-90 also came to HBO with them along with eight well used preload trailers . The #40-90 and the #40-96 went to Munns with the private lands the #40-91 stayed at HBO and ended up with IPL The #40-96 doesn't look nearly as well kept as it was at Timberwest HBO in the 1990's after Mike and Kelvin painted it in 1993.

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
camptramp; great pics I really enjoy your interesting information and tales you add to your pics. I have one Q. What does the abbreviation HBO means? I am pretty sure DLS = dump log sort and M / L = Main Line but please correct me if I am wrong.

camptramp

Occupation
When we worked for BCFP there were 2 Divisons Renfrew Div. in the Port Renfrew area and Caycuse in the Lake Cowichan area Fletcher Challenge took over BCFP in the late 1980's in the winter of 1991-92 they combined the 2 divisons and called it Honeymoon Bay Operations HBO .From the time the vultures from down under took over, to the time in 1993 when we became Timberwest they did every thing they could to wipe BCFP off the surface of the earth even stationary and records and pictures destroryed it was a sad time to watch a company grow to it peak . Only to be disasembled and its assets to sold off . The long down hill run leveled off for a few years , but a change in back benchers in the early 2000's continued the plunge to the bottom .It saddens me to look around and see what has become of our forests ,and to think of what could have been . When I started in the woods the plan was to start harvesting the new growth in a 90 year rotation ,I started setting chockers on a setting in Lens Cr. 6500 in Feb. 1966 in May 2006 I hauled the new growth off that very setting . Its not what we do its how we do it that I question. You have the M/L and DLS correct

Last edited:

HDX

camptramp I was going by the two little handles on the front of the fenders and the oil cooler guard under the front bumper as well as a few wrinkles . I never saw a lot of trucks other than the HDX with that addition under the front bumper that's all. You would know better than I because you were on and around them for a good period of time. It was a shot LOL

camptramp

Occupation
camptramp I was going by the two little handles on the front of the fenders and the oil cooler guard under the front bumper as well as a few wrinkles . I never saw a lot of trucks other than the HDX with that addition under the front bumper that's all. You would know better than I because you were on and around them for a good period of time. It was a shot LOL
HDX you never know where these trucks will show up I heard the #40-96 was bought at the Auction by Lily & Russel along with the #40-90 then Hayesno1 posted a picture of it for sale on Forest teck . Check the serial No. plate if it was built in Aug 1980 it could be it if it has a NASCAR CRAFTMAN TRUCK SERIES decal in the drivers side anti draught window its the #40-96 .If it has a major dent in the left front bumper it could be the #40-96 .

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Pacific P16 IPL unit #H147

Attachments

• IPL H147_s1.jpg
    IPL H147_s1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,256
  • IPL H147_s2.jpg
    IPL H147_s2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,258

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Another IPL Pacific P16 logging truck. I don't know unit number but HDX might add further information.

Attachments

• IPL unknown no_s1.jpg
    IPL unknown no_s1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,289
  • IPL unknown no_s2.jpg
    IPL unknown no_s2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,310
  • IPL unknown no_s3.jpg
    IPL unknown no_s3.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,256
  • IPL unknown no_s4.jpg
    IPL unknown no_s4.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,267

camptramp

Occupation
tw Timberwest HBO #40-131 P16 Pacific the old high baller Jack Cotterill crossing the highway off Gordon R. M/L into Honeymoon Bay DLS to dumpscan250.jpg

dirty4fun

For those of us that haven't been around how about some specs on the last one. The video was darn good, funny having to make the door bigger to get it out. Then did they have troubles with the rear differential? Thanks for sharing the video, greatly appreciated.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Short version...The truck is a V16 powered P-12 for I believe Montana.It hauls two ore trailers.They had two trucks built when I was there.The third and very last Pacific was built in the parts warehouse.The main plant was gone by then.Two of the long time guys I worked with were still there and built it...

The truck was built long after production had stopped but he really wanted another one and apparently he wasn't interested in "NO"..The remaining guys at Pacific made it happen..

Hank R video documented the build and most of its on you tube as well as a few videos of the trucks in action..Hank is also a Pacific Historian..

Very large trucks...The 24 trucks we built for the South African Railway were even bigger.You tube has some videos of them as well....Cory

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
I thought I remembered reading here that the last Pacific had a V16. Isn't there a photo of it in another recent posting here?

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
I just went back over the videos and it appears that the last one was indeed Cat powered.......Cory